General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

operating temperature "?"

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 05:48 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default operating temperature "?"

95 honda accord lx with 2.2L non-Vtec engine.

What is the specs on engine operating temperature? 170, 180 195 degrees Fahrenheit?

I'm asking since I'm shopping around for a new thermostat and notice they come in three flavors.

It's been cold these past few days (Florida) and my engine temp is not reaching operating temps, and when it's not reaching operating temps, my heat doesn't work as well.

I'm pretty sure my thermostat is stuck open, and not closing properly, because sometimes if I go up an incline my my temp gauge climbs quickly to operating temps but as soon as I level off, it goes back down to the bottom of the gauge to near dead. It almost makes me think the sensor is not working; but it is. If I slow down or idle for a bit then gauge needle climbs until I start moving again.

Thanks again..

Old 12-19-2013, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

Thermostat opening spec is 172 degrees F, I'd replace the radiator cap as well.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:07 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by Dr. Drivability
Thermostat opening spec is 172 degrees F, I'd replace the radiator cap as well.
Why the radiator cap?

Old 12-19-2013, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Mad Professor
Why the radiator cap?
A defective radiator cap can cause some of the symptoms you are having. The cooling system needs to be pressure sealed to operate correctly.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

The opening spec may be misleading. The control temp of the thermostat is 194F. Thermostat should adjust to control coolant temperature closely to this value. This is also the value stamped on the thermostat body, although may be in degC.

good luck

Old 12-19-2013, 06:01 PM
Almost A Senior Member

I have the same issue. New rad cap/ new thermostat. Fluid level is proper and I've bled my system multiple times. Nothing helps. Especially going down a hill in the winter my car gets cold. I put some Card Board Over Half The Rad And It Seemed To help. Kinda cheap but if you find a better fix let me know

Old 12-19-2013, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I've seen the dubious propostion that a "cooler" thermostat will somehow increase available power. One of those urban myths.

Make sure you have a thermostat that works. I've found it's hard to beat the OEM thermostat for quick warmups and precise temp control.

good luck

Old 12-21-2013, 08:20 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Mad Professor
It's been cold these past few days (Florida) and my engine temp is not reaching operating temps, and when it's not reaching operating temps, my heat doesn't work as well.

I'm pretty sure my thermostat is stuck open, and ...
with those issues, suggest replacing the 50:50 antifreeze/water coolant mixture at the same time as the thermostat.

Old 05-21-2020, 03:40 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Does a 2005 Accord ex, 4 cylinder engine, have separate relays for radiator fan and condenser fan?

In mine, both always come on at the same time when ECT2 temperature reaches 98°C; and also when I turn on the A/C. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance guys...

Last edited by DErh58; 05-21-2020 at 05:46 PM.
Old 05-21-2020, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

It is normal. Both fans will turn on at the same time to cool the radiator and a/c condenser.

Quick Reply: operating temperature "?"