General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Options for cleaning engine sludge

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 06:34 PM
Default Options for cleaning engine sludge

I have read from different places on google that there are different ways of cleaning out sludge from the engine besides taking it to a shop and doing a complete dismantle and clean. I'm mainly concerned about a DIY option, as money is tight. The car trim is a 2000 EX-V6.

My questions: is there one option better than the other of the options I'll list, if so why? If not, I'll assume my buddy's engine will be toast in the near future. On to the options I've read about.

1) Drain oil, pour diesel into the crank and let it idle, drain the diesel, repeat 2-4 times, replace old oil filter with a new one and add new oil.

2) Same as 1, but using ATF.

3) Add Seafoam (as directed by Seafoam bottle, following the instructions) into the crank, let it idle, drain oil, replace old oil filter with a new one and add new oil.

Thanks in advance.

-Mike

Old 03-05-2012, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

Castrol 5w20 GTX

Old 03-05-2012, 07:49 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

copied from the other thread...

Originally Posted by crispin
I know I have heard of the diesel method.

IF it was my car I would just run the car with some high quality detergent oil and change it often for a while.

Drastic measures can cause drastic problems -- IMHO YMMV

Originally Posted by crispin
why do you think there is sludge in your motor that needs to be cleaned out?

Out of all those the only thing I would do is the SeaFoam but I really see no reason for ever needed any of the methods you outlined.
Originally Posted by mikebstone

We took off the engine cover and took a look inside and there is sludge.

Reasons I read for using diesel and ATF are that both act as a detergent/cleaner and serve to break down and clean out sludge. Same principle applies for SeaFoam.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

There's some stuff, I think it's called BG-44 or something like that. It's supposed to dissolve sludge slowly, so you don't risk any big chunks falling off. Pour it into your crankcase (add to your normal oil) then drive with it in there. I haven't used it but some people on a Saab board have said it works good.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:31 PM

I like the idea of using high quality oil with some detergents, as "drastic measures can cause drastic problems", as you say it, Crispin. I think we'll move onto something else if running some HQ oil w/ detergents and frequent oil changes doesn't do the trick. It is his only car and he doesn't want to go and buy a car if he can help it. If it doesn't work, the SeaFoam or BG-44K sound like other good options.

Sounds more like a gradual fix more than a quick fix.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:55 PM

Use sea foam. Warm up the engine then drain completely. Fill with good oil Run it for 500-1000 miles and repeat with the sea foam.