General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Outside the box thinkers

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 09:36 PM
Exclamation Outside the box thinkers

I recently changed the harmonic wheel balancer on my '95 accord. I didn't have a chain wrench nor a big enough impact wrench. So I used the old method of putting something down the spark plug port to stop the engine from compressing. Again, late night change here, didnt have any pliable gauged speaker wire or a used rope. Too far to put a screw driver down and didnt feel like taking the starter off to keep the flywheel from turning. I used some housing wiring that is really tough. I got enough of it pushed down inside for the engine to not crank, and eventually broke the crank bolt loose and attempted to put everything back together. I got everything done except for one thing. The f'n wire wont come back out now. I've stood on the engine pulling it. Used a come-along attatched to the rafters and got a good portion of it out but now it is at a standstill. I can push the wire back down and then pull on it again but it stops in the same spot every time. Could it be wrapped around something other than itself in there? and in order to get to the piston, would I have to take the water pump and timing belt off because it is a OHC? To me thats what it is looking like. Any ideas are helpful. Not wanting to tear it all the way down because I have never down anything like that before and wouldnt really know where to start. Thanks!

Old 10-04-2011, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

I guess it is possible that the wire got caught on something. The valves should have been closed. Hopefully you didn't bend a valve and pinch the wire in there.

Maybe rotate the engine counterclockwise an eighth or a quarter of a turn to drop the piston? Use the crank bolt to try this. Then see if the wire will come out?

Old 10-04-2011, 10:04 PM

I ran it both clockwise and counter. Multiple times. Thats how I got the majority of it pulled out with the come along. But now the wire stops everytime in the same place... I can push it back down a couple inches and then it when I pull it up it stops in the same place. Probably should just tear down???

Old 10-04-2011, 10:29 PM

Little over my mechanical abilities but do you have a small mirror, probably thought of it already. There has got to be a way, without tearing it down. Please tell us how you do finally get it out.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

Trying adding a little motor oil through the spark plug hole to see if it may help lube the wire enough to come out. Otherwise, take off the valve cover to see if you can tell where it may be binding.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:24 AM

Ya I tried the motor oil. I let it set over night. Nothing. Removed Valve cover but still is a few inches away from actually seeing. The wire is just small enough to slip through the spark plug port so you really can't see into the problem area.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:58 AM
Super Moderator

You may be able to remove the rocker assembly to gain better access.

Search wYU8qtPzQOY on YouTube for a video from Ericthecarguy. You should replace the lower o-rings if you are going to try this.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:38 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I wonder if the house wiring (Romex?) got stuck under/wrapped around an open exhaust valve? I guess that could have happened if you stuck the wire in a cylinder that was moving up - compressing the wire - on the exhaust stroke (exhaust valves opening) rather than the compression stroke (all valves closed.) Just a guess. If you can't get all of the wire out, you'll have to yank the head. It's not too bad of a job but a head gasket set is kind of pricey. No need to take off the new water pump though.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Ok what the heck. Couple of questions:
Were you at TDC on #1. Belt end of the engine is where the wire was inserted.
You say you have spun the motor, how far? All the way or just 1/4 (please answer this part) both ways?
So this is mutli wires within one casing.....answer the above but have you split the outer cover and tried the individual wires?
With the valve cover off and at TDC #1....what is the valve lash on intake and exhaust....really loose on one or the other may confirm if the wire has gotten under a valve and holding it open (the wire in).

EDIT: IF you get this out without removing the head. PLEASE use a shop vac and a small hose and be sure no little pieces of the wire are in the cyl......even still this may not get them if the shape/size of the wire is such that it won't fit thru the spark plug hole.

Last edited by poorman212; 10-07-2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:30 PM

TDC? I don't know about. I did indsert it in the #1 Spark Plug port. The wire is made up of multiple copper wires. Tried splintering and pulling the middle ones out first. Still no luck. I've spun the motor all the way around both ways. it will turn. How do i know if it is TDC? And valve lash? Im not quite up to speed with that. Still contemplating on taking the head off. Never have done that before but i know the water pump, timing belt ect. has to come off. Just not real excited about it.

Quick Reply: Outside the box thinkers