General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overhead Interior Light Not Working Properly

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 12:01 PM
Smile Overhead Interior Light Not Working Properly

The overhead light doesn't light when the driver's door is opened.

However, when the passenger door is opened, it does light, so the bulb isn't the issue.

What activates the overhead light when a door is opened? Is there a button of some sort on the door or door jam that is sticking?

Also, which fuse controls the overhead light, and is there a separate fuse for each door?

Thanks,

Robert

Old 05-22-2012, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

sounds like the drivers door switch has gotten wonky...

Old 05-22-2012, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Drivability
sounds like the drivers door switch has gotten wonky...
Hi Jeff:

Where is the switch located?

Thanks,

Robert

Old 05-22-2012, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

on the door jamb.

Attached Thumbnails Overhead Interior Light Not Working Properly-image1.jpg  
Old 05-22-2012, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

You might get lucky and be able to clean the switch.....once you pull the switch, look for rust on the contact and the body.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
You might get lucky and be able to clean the switch.....once you pull the switch, look for rust on the contact and the body.
What's the best place to find information on pulling & cleaning the switch?

Thanks,

Robert

Old 05-22-2012, 08:05 PM
Exclamation Additional Information

I tried the door jam switch and noticed the door light still goes on and off.

Does this indicate a problem other than the door jam switch?

Robert

Old 05-22-2012, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

In the pic by Dr, kind of grab that rubber boot and gently remove it. Behind that you will see a phillips screw, remove screw. then you can "wiggle" the switch away from the body. There will be a wire attached to the switch, pull it loose....don't let the wire "snap" back inside the body of the car or you will be fishing for some time trying to get it back out - a thick piece of tape or string on the wire will help, just me.

Inspect the switch, try to repair/clean or just replace...used from a bone yard is ? maybe $5, a new one ???? no idea.

Does the car have an aftermarket alarm system?

Old 05-22-2012, 08:27 PM
Default that switch

I've had this problem over and over, sounds like it's still the switch. There's just one phillips screw holding it on, you can take it apart and clean the contacts if you want, there's just a little spring in there that you don't want to lose. Sometimes when you test it with your finger it's fine but the door still won't trigger it, I've gone through about 2 of them, easy to grab at a junkyard or on ebay.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
In the pic by Dr, kind of grab that rubber boot and gently remove it. Behind that you will see a phillips screw, remove screw. then you can "wiggle" the switch away from the body. There will be a wire attached to the switch, pull it loose....don't let the wire "snap" back inside the body of the car or you will be fishing for some time trying to get it back out - a thick piece of tape or string on the wire will help, just me.

Inspect the switch, try to repair/clean or just replace...used from a bone yard is ? maybe $5, a new one ???? no idea.

Does the car have an aftermarket alarm system?
Yes, I have an aftermarket alarm system which has been giving me trouble. It's made by DEI.

Lately, the only alarm related issue is the driver's door - when opened, the alarm stays in "ready to close" mode. I need to open the trunk lid, or the passenger door, to turn it off completely.

I found a replacement switch for $17 - there's a You Tube video from the place that sells the replacement part. I'll put the name only if you give me the ok.

Robert

Quick Reply: Overhead Interior Light Not Working Properly