General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Overheating busting radiator hoses

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 12:48 AM
Angry Overheating busting radiator hoses

Hello everyone,

I have a 98 Honda Accord Ex 4 cyl. And I am having issues with the it overheating and at times it causes my hoses to just tear apart cause of too much pressure. I took it to a mechanic and he says it's a cracked head gasket. So far I've replaced
Thermostat
Water pump
Radiator cap

It overheated on me again today and it tore up my lower radiator hose. Before this happened I had stopped to inspect for any leaks and I noticed my reserve tank was hissing I waited awhile and unscrewed the cap and my reserve tank was overflowing. Is that normal? Thanks for your help

1998 Honda Accord EX
4 cyl. 2.3 L

Old 08-02-2012, 12:59 AM

If the bottom hose was the one that blew?that is your return hose to the radiator,so thats telling me that the radiator core is blocked or the grill is restricted?
Have your radiator checked or do you know how to check it yourself?

Old 08-02-2012, 01:04 AM

start it up cold with the radiator cap off and look for constant air bubbles. check the oil. is it milky?

if yes to either of these questions then you've got a blown head gasket. you may want to try Bar's Head Gasket Leak sealer which is like 30 bucks. Much cheaper than replacing the head gasket. I've had luck with it but it won't fix majorly blown gaskets.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:04 AM

No don't know how to do it myself. Well Ive had other hoses bust open also. Do u think it would help if I bled the line?

Old 08-02-2012, 01:08 AM

Noticed constant bubbles a couple weeks ago so I went ahead and used a head gasket sealer and it seemed to have fixed the problem up until couple days ago when I noticed my reserve tank hissing.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:15 AM

Noticed constant bubbles a couple weeks ago so I went ahead and used a head gasket sealer and it seemed to have fixed the problem up until couple days ago when I noticed my reserve tank hissing. Oil is fine. Any other suggestions

Old 08-02-2012, 01:51 AM

time to do some wrench turning. drop off the head at a machine shop to check for warpage. replace timing belt and front seals while you're at it.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:53 AM

your engine is basically an air pump, because your head gasket is blown, air is getting pumped into the cooling system, causing hissing and bursting hoses. normally the cooling system is sealed off but not anymore.

the head gasket needs to be fixed.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:18 AM

To see if it is your head gasket thats blown tou need to check your oil dip stick and see if you notice a color difference in it?
And if the oil looks normal in color then its your radiator?and my opinion i think its your radiator?but i could be wrong its been known to happen 1nc.or twice?lol
And depending how hot the engine got and how long you drove it while it was that hot then yes it could have blown the head gasket?but check the oil 1st.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:34 AM

Yeah the oil looks fine. Just replaced the bottom hose and bled the system. I noticed that the bottom hose was cold and top hose is hot. Could that be what's causing the problem?

Quick Reply: Overheating busting radiator hoses