General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Overheating & coolant overflow question

Old 06-20-2009, 02:11 AM
socalfornow
Unregistered
Default Overheating & coolant overflow question

hi Everyone!
Well, it's my first post, and unfortunately it's a repair question!

My '92 Accord (automatic), has been overheating recently, just started about 2 weeks ago.

On short trips it's fine, but anything longer than, say, 30 minutes, and it starts to get hotter. Temp gauge starts to rise a bit. Under the hood, I can actually hear the coolant in the hoses boiling (sort of a gurgling sound), and I am loosing coolant from the top of the overflow bottle, near the cap. Both upper and lower hoses are hot (I was thinking that thermostat was not opening, but upper hose is hot...so I'm thinking thermostat is opening ok).
Both fans run and turn off ok.

Any advice is appreciated!
Thanks!!
Marc

Old 06-20-2009, 02:44 AM
Super Moderator

Is the coolant leaking from the cap on top of the overflow bottle, or from the radiator cap?

Old 06-20-2009, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Thermostat could be only partially open and not fully opening causing overheating. I would replace the thermostat, since it's easy to access and relatively cheap. Use an OEM thermostat, they work better than aftermarket.

Smell the coolant in the overflow bottle. Any gasoline smell? If yes, the head gasket may be leaking exhaust gas into the coolant stream, overpressurizing system, causing overflow and overheating.

A weak pressure cap can allow overflow into coolant reservoir also, but if you're indicating overheating before this happens, then problem is not the radiator cap.

Even if the problem is not HG, don't continue to drive if overheating occurs, or you will have head gasket problems. This can make a $50 repair into a $500 repair.

good luck

Old 06-20-2009, 08:33 PM
socalfornow
Unregistered

leak (water and steam) is coming from overflow cap only, not radiator cap.
No smell other than coolant.

I see that the thermostat housing is very easy to get to, so I'll try that first.
Hopefully Honda dealer has good price on it.

Also, my GF added straight water to fill it after this started to happen, so that lowers the boiling point, but this overheating started before she added straight water.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

The thermostat should be around $15.

That overflow cap should not leak. Inspect the cap, elbow, and the hose that goes to the radiator cap for cracks/damage.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Originally Posted by socalfornow
leak (water and steam) is coming from overflow cap only, not radiator cap.
No smell other than coolant.

I see that the thermostat housing is very easy to get to, so I'll try that first.
Hopefully Honda dealer has good price on it.

Also, my GF added straight water to fill it after this started to happen, so that lowers the boiling point, but this overheating started before she added straight water.
Actually, the thermostat housing is not that easy to access. You may be looking at the upper radiator hose fitting on the cylinder head and thinking it houses the thermostat. No, it's on the lower radiator hose end at the engine. You will need to remove the air intake duct to access. Other than that it's not too bad. Be sure to reinstall the ground wire that attaches to thermostat housing. If you leave loose the engine probably won't start.

good luck

Old 06-22-2009, 10:28 AM
TheBeast323
Unregistered

i had an overheating problem myself and also would hear that boiling water noise. Check all of your rubber hoses and make sure that none of them seem torn. the problem with my car was that a small hose was torn and water was leaking thus causing the car to overheat.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:35 AM
socalfornow
Unregistered

Replaced the thermostat ($23 @ honda), and it seemed to work. They sure don't make it easy to get to though! Thanks for your help everyone.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:40 PM

My 98 ex v6 is overheating too... the cap is where the boil over takes place. Could this cause the overheating or just an outcome from overheating?

Old 11-07-2010, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

Is it overheating based on the temperature gauge or just based on the overflowing coolant?

A bad cap can allow it to overflow even with normal temperature.

Actual overheating can be caused by a bad thermostat, clogged radiator, corroded water-pump, or even large air-pockets in the cooling system.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Overheating & coolant overflow question