General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overturn

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 10:38 AM
Default Overturn

Hello!

I own a 96 accord lx 4cyl and I have been having issues with what I think is the starter. You see, When I crank my vehicle up, it sounds fine somedays. Other days, it sounds as if I am overturning. I apply just enough pressure to turn the key. I have had the starter replaced twice in less than two years because I was told this was the culprit. Could the problem be that the starters are aftermarket and not OEM???

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Old 04-11-2013, 12:17 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by rwyatt80
...overturning. I apply just enough pressure to turn the key.

Could the problem be that the starters are aftermarket and not OEM???
I don't know the term 'overturning' ... can't help there.

Did your component came from Autozone or Oreilly's? ... been there, done that.
Now I buy @ NAPA or dealer - and these work and last.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:51 PM

My apologies. To overturn is when you turn your key to start your vehicle. Instead of letting go, you hold on to the key, which creates a screeching noise, thats overturning. Ill look into getting an OEM starter. I will also check NAPA. Thanks!!

Old 04-11-2013, 03:38 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

It could well be a crappy aftermarket starter but take a look at the ring gear before putting on a new starter. Check the entire circumference for bad teeth.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:49 PM

I went to NAPA to get a starter, so far so good. The mechanic said that the reason for the noise was the bendix (if i spelled that correctly) was slow to respond and did not come all the way out when pressed out by the solenoid. I am hoping the third time is a charm. They did tell me that the NAPA starter didnt respond the first two times after installation. It was tapped...after that, no problems. I hope that the issue can be attributed to it being on the shelf...if not...back to the drawing board. Thanks for the advice!!