General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oxygen Sensor issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 12:21 PM
axelsonj
Unregistered
Default Oxygen Sensor issues

I have a 2002 Honda Accord SE ULEV that seems to be having Oxygen Sensor issues and I need some guidance.

The light came on about 2 weeks ago and I took it to one mechanic who said that the error code was 1167 and it needed a new air flow? fuel? (couldn't quite understand him) ratio sensor, which would cost me $400. In an effort to save money I called another mechanic, told him the error code and he said go to Autozone get the part, which should be under $100 and I'll charge under $70 for the labor. So we went to autozone and bought a Bosch Premium Oxygen Sensor (part #13075) for about $95 and took it to the second mechanic, who charged $45 to install it.

The light went out for a little while (like 1 hour) and then came on again. We took it back ti the second mechanic and he said he was now getting error code 1167, that it was the other oxygen sensor and he'd replace it for us if we got the part. I went online and got a great deal on Denso part 234-9014. Brought it to the mechanic and he installed it.

A few miles down the road and the light came on again. Took it back and now we are getting error code 0141. The mechanic said I must have brought him the wrong kind of sensor, so now I am totally confused.

Is he right? Did I buy the wrong item? Is it possible that he put the right sensors in the wrong place (i.e. replaced the rear sensor with a front sensor and replaced the front sensor with a rear sensor?).

I'm not mechanically inclined, so if you could use very plain responses, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Old 10-29-2008, 12:43 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Oxygen Sensor issues

Here's the basic definitions of the codes you have:

P1167: Primary HO2S (No. 1) Heater System

P0141: Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2)

What does that mean? This code means that the heated circuit in the oxygen sensor on bank 2 decreases time needed to enter closed loop. As the O2 heater reaches operating temperature, the oxygen sensor responds by switching according to oxygen content of the exhaust surrounding it. The ECM tracks how long it takes for the oxygen sensor to begin switching. It the ECM determines (based on coolant temp) that too much time elapsed before the oxygen sensor began operating properly, it will set P0141. See also: P0135 (Bank 1, Sensor 1). Symptoms You will likely notice poor fuel economy, the illumination of the Check Engine Light. Causes A code P0141 may mean that one or more of the following has happened: [ul][*]open or short to ground in the wiring harness[*]O2 heater circuit wiring high resistance[*]O2 heater element resistance is high[*]Internal short or open in the heater element[/ul] Note: Typically a failed catalytic converter does not cause this code. You're more likely to see a P0420 code for a failed converter. Possible Solutions [ul][*]Replace oxygen sensor (cannot repair open or short that occurs internally to sensor)[*]Repair short or open or high resistance in wiring harness or harness connectors[/ul]

The mechanic may be right, you may have bought the wrong one. I heated O2 sensor has a 4-5 wire pigtail on it.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:02 AM
axelsonj
Unregistered

Thanks for the quick response! It sounds like the first thing I need to figure out is whether the correct parts were used...

This is a link to the part that was used when the 1166 error code came up: http://www.autozone.com/R,78793/vehi...ductDetail.htm

This is a link to the part that was used when the 1167 error code came up: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&viewitem=

If these were the wrong items, could you tell me what the correct items would have been? If they are the correct items, any recommendations about what I should do next?

Thanks again.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:06 PM
artur3279
Unregistered

Hello,
I have a 2003 Honda Accord EX, 4-cyl with a bad heated O2 sensor. The dealer quoted me a price of $336 to replace. I think I can replace it myself as long as it is accessible to me. Where is it located and is it hard to replace?
Thanks a bunch,
Art

Old 12-01-2008, 12:44 PM

You have to figure out which O2 sensor needs replacing. There is one in the exhaust manifold sticking out of the heat shield in the engine bay, it's pretty easy to spot. There's another one right after the catalytic converter under the car.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:49 PM
artur3279
Unregistered

Well, the receipt says "heated o2 sensor" and the cost is $336. Being heated, is it possible the one in the exhaust manifold?
Thanks,
Art

Old 12-01-2008, 12:57 PM

The exhaust manifold one is most likely, as the other one doesnt affect how the car runs, just how efficient it's running.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:08 PM
artur3279
Unregistered

Finch,
I just spoke with the dealer and they told me it's the rear one, gave me a code of P0141. I saw on another site this requires a removal of the front seat, is that true?

Thanks,
Art

Old 12-01-2008, 01:13 PM

Um, no front seat removal required... that doesnt make any sense. It's under the car at a 45* angle point up towards the passenger. Just douse it in penetrating oil (likely rusted on) and take it out after unplugging the connector. Clean up the O2 bung on the cat and maybe put some anti-seize on the threads. Don't touch the sensor to anything or get the anti-seize on it, you may foul it.

You can also clean an O2 sensor by passing it through a torch flame to burn off the deposits.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:32 PM
artur3279
Unregistered

Is it before or after the converter and is it on the pipe leading into the converter or should I be looking elsewhere?
Thanks for all your info so far, Finch
Art

Quick Reply: Oxygen Sensor issues