General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oxygen sensor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 11:34 PM
emills
Unregistered
Default oxygen sensor replacement

My girlfriends 01 honda accord needs a rear oxygen sensor and the dealer wants to charge 400 bucks for the job. I've looked online and can get one for 50 bucks. Is this a tough installation? Is there complex wiring that needs to be done? Thanks

Old 05-10-2006, 12:06 AM
Default RE: oxygen sensor replacement

If you buy and OEM O2 sensor from Honda it should be pretty easy. You will need a O2 sensor socket, which can be picked up at the local parts store. Once you have the socket, you disconnect the O2 sensor connector, remove the O2 sensor, install the new O2 sensor, reconnect the sensor. It shouldn't be too difficult. I've never done it on an actual car but i've taken the O2 sensor on an engine on a stand dozens of times.

Old 05-10-2006, 02:54 AM
Administrator

AgentofDarknesshas the O2 sensor replacement down pat as on how to change it EXCEPT that you also need to disconect the negative battery cable before you do it so that the code for the ECU will take note of what you are doing...
By the way...dont forget to hook it back up folks...

WheelBrokerang[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

You can rent that 02 sensor socket at your local AutoZone, $10.00 bucks and you get your money back when you bring the tool back...

Old 05-10-2006, 03:32 AM

damn, 400buk to replace that thing???? crazy!!!! just buy one and do it yourself, remember to get OEM O2 sensor, dont get those cheap sensor from autozone or so cuz they aint worth the money and gonna take a dump very quick

Old 05-10-2006, 05:58 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: WheelBrokerAng

AgentofDarknesshas the O2 sensor replacement down pat as on how to change it EXCEPT that you also need to disconect the negative battery cable before you do it so that the code for the ECU will take note of what you are doing...

You can rent that 02 sensor socket at your local AutoZone, $10.00 bucks and you get your money back when you bring the tool back...

before disconnecting the battery make sure you have the stereo code ,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Old 05-10-2006, 05:01 PM

i am assuming it is a 4 cyl and you are asking about the o2 sensor close to the cat ( in the cat ) ?? if so no need to get a special tool, all you need is a 7/8 or a 22mm wrench......

If there is a code you will need to clear it ,,of course
if no code exists ,, no need to disconnect battery at all, just replace the sensor ..

Old 05-10-2006, 07:46 PM

ORIGINAL: WheelBrokerAng

Trouble codes should be cleared with a scan tool. Disconnecting the battery cable will work, but it will also erase the readiness monitors as well which will give you a problem when you have to goto emissions.

Old 05-10-2006, 11:20 PM

ORIGINAL: AgentofDarkness

Disconnecting the battery cable will work, but it will also erase the readiness monitors as well which will give you a problem when you have to goto emissions.
Alot of generic scan tools reset the monitors. It's not a big deal unless your driving straight to the test site.

Old 05-11-2006, 03:20 PM

my o2 sensor was still under warranty n got that jank replaced from honda for free. they said the o2 sensors n the catalytic converters got a life time warranty. i'd check that out

Old 05-12-2006, 01:00 AM

Use a 24MM wrench if u have one that way you dont have to drive all over town, and you dont need to disconnect the Battery because the ECU will automaticaly refresh and the MIL, wont be displayed. Either way your DTC will still be stored into the ECU until you have it cleared with a scan tool. Its a rather easy job you just need to disconnect the rubber exhaust mounts to lower the exhaust so its more managable to work on.

ALSO MPWr- although your car had it covered under warranty, this one is not covered, and i am 99.9% sure.

Quick Reply: oxygen sensor replacement