General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

P0336

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 06:48 PM
Default P0336

My gfs 2002 lx civic has a plm...It sometimes will stall when she is slowing down to a stop. I changed out the bosch spark plugs thinking it would help, before we had the code read, and it didn't. So she got it read today and got that p0336....she talked to her friend who said he thinks the mechanic might have sabotaged it when he was doing the timing belt ( about 5,000 miles ago) so the Ckp sensor would break and make some extra cash. I trust the guy and doubt he would do that. Does this sound plausible?

I know it is a civic question but I didn't want to sign up for a civic forum then post once and be gone. I thought maybe someone here could help. Thanks guys.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:56 PM
Default RE: P0336

It could have a broken wire, do you have a digital camera. Can you see the wire for the sensor, can you trace it to a connector. Do you know which of the CKP wires go to the ECU to do a continuity test with an ohm meter.

I have seen the wire chaffing on the alternator belt until it broke. Not sure if that was a Civic, but a Honda it was.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:21 AM
Super Moderator

The crank sensor is down on the oil pump, so he probablywould have unplugged it when doing the timing belt. Maybe he simply didn't plug it back tightly & it came loose. (Maybe just careless &not 'sabotage')

Old 11-27-2007, 12:40 AM

Dang! She had him order it and its special order so no refund. I wonder if she can call him tmw to have him cancel it and then verify if it is just not properly plugged in. Is it something I can can look at myself? Would I have to remove the crank shaft pulley bolt?

Thanks you guys for your responses!

Old 11-27-2007, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator

It's mounted on the oil pump. If you look straight in thru the wheel well, it's about 3 oclock alongside the crank pulley. I don't know for sure, but it looks like the sensor would be covered up by the lower timing cover. Maybe the wire & plug poke out the side of that cover where you can check them?.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:43 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

sensor is located inside t-belt cover to replace you got to remove the lower t-belt cover
but you need to diagnose first
disconnect the connector has 3 wires, put the key on ,hook up a volt meter between yellow/black and body ground there should be about 12 v. if not there is an issue on that wire from main relay to cps.

if you got battery voltage,

chk voltage at blue wire and body ground should be 5 volts,

chk voltage between yellow/ black and brown/yellow . should be battery voltage

if all 3 tests are ok , you need a new CPS ,, if 1 of the test is not ok, you got wiring issues or bad ground or possibly ecm/pcm issues

do these tests and let us know

but first i would do a visual inspection of the wiring, surroundind area , loose connector etc etc .

Old 11-29-2007, 10:57 PM

Update: She took the car to the mechanic and he found that the plug had shorted out and for some reason there was water in there. This happened b/c some how the grommet corroded and allowed water to get inside. Just thought i'd update in case anyone ever runs into this.

Old 11-30-2007, 05:11 AM

personally, i feel it was messed up. i'm glad it's fixed though.

that sensor needs to be removed to remove the timing belt. if he didn't secure the connector properly on reinstallation or didn't bolt down the sensor correctly...honda uses water proof connectors. the only way water gets in is if it's accidentally put in.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:12 AM

Your the second person to say that. So the water probably got put in there when the timing belt was done? Maybe that grommet thing was not put in securely?

Old 11-30-2007, 08:19 PM

well, assuming the water pump was changed he could have let all the coolant flow right down into it since the water pump is directly above it. either than or not securely connected. order the sensor, reconnect it, charge you $$ and call it a day.

or

it could be a coincidence. you said you trust the guy, so, if you trust him don't tarnish your idea of him!

Quick Reply: P0336