General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking brake: -stuck-

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 04:34 PM
Exclamation Parking brake: -stuck-

i have a 1997 honda accord se with rear disc brakes and the other day i pulled up the handbrake and heard a noise and, as i thought it was stuck but just the Left rear wheel and the right one is movable and i dont know what to do i can still drive it but i wont cause i can hear it but i cant turn it by hand. no doubt tough its stuck.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Reach around the tire where the handbrake cable attaches to the caliper. There's a lever you can pull to release the brake. Basically pull the lever in the opposite direction so you pull the cable out from it's housing.

Then you'll still have to figure out whether it's any of the following problems:
- Cable corroded inside housing so it's difficult for the spring to pull back out.
- Spring on brake caliper has lost its strength from overheating.
- Corrosion of the lever & shaft at the caliper itself.

Maybe the handbrake mechanism inside the caliper is messed up. Have you replaced rear brake pads lately? Used a C-clamp to compress the piston?

Old 09-06-2012, 05:46 PM

no i have not, if i relesase that cable, can the car be driven?

Old 09-07-2012, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

If you're successful releasing the brake by pulling that cable and/or lever, then the wheel will spin freely and you can drive it. Until the next time you pull the handbrake lever & it sticks again. I wouldn't call that a proper repair...

Last edited by JimBlake; 09-07-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:17 PM

what does the lever behind the eheel look like

Old 09-07-2012, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

See attached images.

Attached Thumbnails Parking brake: -stuck--parking-brake-lever-1.jpg   Parking brake: -stuck--parking-brake-lever-2.jpg  
Old 09-07-2012, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Good pictures from Redbull. You're basically "helping" the spring to release the handbrake.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:02 PM

Thank you so much, i have released that lever as much as it will go but there is still a noise every time the wheel goes around, can a tire shop fix this or is it still sometyhing to do with the parking brake. not enugh that it stops the wheel though but just saying. it sounds like the rotor is warped cause it every time it goes around if you get what im saying. is it safe to drive?

Old 09-07-2012, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

The brake pads may be worn out. You can take a look at it or have a tire shop or repair shop take a look. Usually it's the inner pad that wears out first. I would get it checked ASAP when you have a chance.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:21 PM

but can i still drive it? how much would that cost

Quick Reply: Parking brake: -stuck-