General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Passenger window won't roll up

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 08:55 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Passenger window won't roll up

The title saids it all, I can roll all the other windows up and down but for this one I can't. I can roll it down but to roll it back up again, I have to simultaneously pull the window upwards as I press the switch for it to go up. I'm gonna try and stop by the dealership tomorrow to get a price quote. Any idea what's wrong with it?

Old 02-11-2012, 04:11 AM

I had this happen on my 87 535i. Turn out to be an alignment problem of the window track which was causing enough resistance that the motor couldn't overcome it without help.

Power window problems can be expensive to troubleshoot.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:27 AM

Just curious, do you usually have passengers? Are they children? They might be messing with the window, so make sure you watch them. I somehow doubt the windows develop this kind of problem on their own.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:49 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Nope, no children. I'm a college student so the car is mainly used for commute.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like a failing motor on the power window regulator. On Hondas, the regulator/motor is generally replaced as an assembled unit.

One way to check, is to take off the door panel and apply direct 12 volt power to the motor connector and see its operation.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:48 PM
Newest Of Newbies

How much do you think they'll charge to fix this? I didn't get the chance to go to my dealership yesterday because of work

Old 02-12-2012, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

If it is the regulator, dealer will probably charge you around $400. Glass shops, as well as independent auto shops can do it too, and probably for less.

You can even do it yourself, as it actually is not too difficult. There are threads on the internet showing picture on how to remove the door panel for your car. I would apply direct 12 volt power to the motor connector to verify if it was the motor or a switch problem, before replacing the part.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:53 PM

on my 97 accord lx, the motors are fine and have been tested. both front windows have alot of trouble going up, what is happening with mine is when it starts to go up the window jams itself into the door and gets stuck, so watch it carefully

Old 02-17-2012, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by phatboyslim2012
on my 97 accord lx, the motors are fine and have been tested. both front windows have alot of trouble going up, what is happening with mine is when it starts to go up the window jams itself into the door and gets stuck, so watch it carefully
IIRC, there was a Honda Service News letter years back related to your generation Accord, it was related to the window channels needing an alignment adjustment. That service news letter was years back, I will try to look for it; but, no guarantees I will find it.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:27 PM

hey thank you redbull. send me a pm if you find it.

thanks

Quick Reply: Passenger window won't roll up