General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 03:36 PM
Cas
Default Please Help!

my brother has a 95 accord lx manual 4 cylinder with 136k, and the speedometer doesnt work, the blinker lights work sometimes the other times the light just stays on instead of blinking.

any help would be appreciated he is 17 so doesnt have a ton of money to get a full diagnostic

Last edited by Cas; 08-22-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

I would download a 94 shop manual from the spooner link I posted in the online manuals thread in the DIY section.

Is the speedometer stuck at ~19 mph? Does the odometer work? Does the check engine light turn on? Does the cruise control work when the speedometer is not working?

As for the turn signals, look on page 23-16 and 23-17 of that manual. I would clean the grounds for the right and left sides (G201 and G301). I would sand the metal bracket around the bolt on both sides. The washers on my bolts were a bit rusted, so I bought two from the dealership. They will be ~$4 each, see part information below. You could also try to use a wire brush to clean up the old ones.

Part number: 90149-SE0-003 BOLT, GROUND (6X16) $4.07

Old 08-22-2010, 08:31 PM

yup..did happened to me and it turns out to be the ground points..mine's at G201..

Old 08-23-2010, 06:41 AM
Cas

As a matter of fact the speedometer is at 19mph! & the check engine light is on. He brought it to autozone to pull the check engine codes off but they said it wouldn't connect to the machine.

As for the cruise it not sure. He'll have to test that. Thanks for your reply we'll give it a shot

Old 08-23-2010, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

The 95 accord 4-cylinder is still OBD1. All you need is a piece of wire or a thin paperclip to get the code(s).

See this link for the instructions:

http://www.dhost.info/accordinfo/howto/cel.html

Old 08-24-2010, 04:21 PM
Cas

ok upon looking at this car further the 2 marker lights in the front have no bulbs, so do u think thats why the turn signal is solid instead of blinking, and not bc of the grounds? i took a pic of each of the ground locations

im going to buy bulbs to stick in there for this kid

Also when it comes to the speedometer what should i check exactly for that? oh and when the headlights are on the lights on the intrument pannel dont eluminate (the gages where speedometer and stuff is)

thanks for the help so far !

Attached Thumbnails Please Help!-img_0250.jpg   Please Help!-img_0251.jpg   Please Help!-img_0255.jpg  
Old 08-24-2010, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

Check the error code(s) like I showed you before to figure out why your check engine light is on. Post the code(s) on here.

For the speedometer problem, let us know if the cruise control, odometer, and tripometer work. I'm not sure why the gauge illumination lights are not working. It could be burned out bulbs, or electrical. I can give you some tests to try if you have to repair the speedometer. You will need a volt meter to do these tests.

Definitely replace missing turn signal bulbs, and see if the turn signals work.

I would still unbolt those grounds and use sandpaper on both sides of the bracket around the bolt hole . Try to clean the threads and washer of the bolt with a wire brush to expose clean metal, or replace those bolts. Its free and simple to do.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:20 PM
Cas

Sorry bout that! So when I engage the cruise control the light turns on BUT the cruise control doesn't actually work.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the update.

Do the other items I suggested, then let us know what you found.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:15 PM
Cas

apparently i cant do that method on the 95 accord.. the page says its for a 96 accord and the piece isnt in this car ugh.... so frustrating!

http://www.dhost.info/accordinfo/howto/cel.html

the first pic is off the 96 accord in the link
the 2nd is of the 95 that we have here

Attached Thumbnails Please Help!-plug.jpg   Please Help!-img_0256%5B1%5D.jpg  

Quick Reply: Please Help!