General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 09:55 AM
Default Please help

We, my fiancee and myself, have a 1986 Accord LXi and the car is running bad. The car seems to know when payday is!
Upon starting the car is very sluggish when shifting from gear to gear and upon take off. Once up to speed it runs fine. When going up hills it will loose power, and, don't laugh guys, as a female it sounds like a go cart when it starts and begins to run. We are going to taking it to Auto Zone tomorrow, to have the codes read but my fiancee was wondering if anyone could give us somethings to try in the meantime.

He is going to clean the EGR valve and will be checking the plugs and wires as well.

He is also think that maybe there is something wrong with the electronic distributor. I think it might be the fuel filters, maybe even the fuel pump.

Can anyone offer us any help, we are at a total loss and this is our only source of transportation, not to mention we don't have $, so anything thing you guys can help us try prior to sinking more $ into this car would be great.

Thank You!

Old 07-10-2011, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

Well, I think you are on the right path.

You can get the codes yourself, very easy on these. Under the drivers seat is the ECU. Slide the drivers seat all the way forward (helps give room). From behind the drivers seat, look under it, you'll see a "plastic box". To the right (center of car) there is a "tab/window", pull from the top. Once it is down you'll see a LED light.

Turn the car to "on"/not started, just to the second position. Look at the LED and count any "blinks". Let us know what they are....

I would pull the cap and rotor and inspect them for wear. Also pull the plugs and inspect those. Replace if too much wear is present.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:08 PM

No blinks! HUM!

Old 07-10-2011, 12:15 PM

Also my fiancee just recently, about 6 weeks ago, replaced the plugs (ends were burnt on the ones he pulled). Car ran beautiful after that. Now it is back to what is was doing. He is wondering if the rotor is bad because of the way the plugs were. Would that cause this problem if the rotor was bad?
He is thinking he should replace the cap, rotor and wires.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

No blinks just means the "issue" isn't being detected by the ECU.

As stated, I would pull the cap and rotor and inspect...and if you are not sure if or when they were replaced and there is any sign of wear then yes, replace them.

Not sure if you, he, have a volt meter to test the wires or not....if the resistance is too high then replace those.

I'd also pull the plugs and re-inspect.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:40 PM

We are going to go get a cap and rotor and start there. Thank you for all of your help and I will let you know what happens.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

My pleasure. Please do let us know how it goes. We can help with more testing if needed. For now replacing those is considered, reg maint items that need to be replaced and can give issues as you described....so we want to rule those out.

I understand not have much $ to throw away so again, we will help with testing before just throwing things at it.

PS-when you can, as part of maint, if you are not sure when the fuel filter was replaced you should plan on that.....right now based upon the description I don't think that is the issue....good luck.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:29 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

chk fuel pressure ,,,,,,,,,,,

Old 07-11-2011, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by deserthonda
chk fuel pressure ,,,,,,,,,,,
Nice to see you again....yes that was next on the list (notice the last comment) but since there is a "go-kart" sound at start up, low demand-yes I know it has to pressurize....wanted t rule out the normal maint items.

OP- Any update?

Old 07-12-2011, 01:21 PM

I want to thank all of you for your help and today he will be changing both fuel filters, the distributor cap, the rotor and the plug wires. I am praying that this fixes the issues, and will be sure to post the result when he is done.

We appreciate all the feedback and advise and are hoping this is an easy fix. Had $20 in Auto Zone credits so it only cost us $32 for the parts At least that was on our side.

Thanks again and I will post the outcome when he is done.

Quick Reply: Please help