General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PLEASE help. Fresh swap, engine dies misfire 94 EX accord

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 04:49 PM
Default PLEASE help. Fresh swap, engine dies misfire 94 EX accord

hi,
Im new to the forum, I have a 1994 Accord EX AUTO, I recently had a timing belt snap on me (completely my fault, let the engine run low on oil and had multiples leaks under the front cover). Either way, I bought a used engine and swapped it in. My troubles aren't over yet, I replaced the timing belt and balancer belt. I changed the Valvecover gasket, and sparkplugs. I also changed the egr over from my old engine.

the problem is:

When I start the car, its very hard to start, once I do, it wants to immediately die on me. If I give it some revs itll catch and then start missing it seems. It does this up to about 3000 revs where it smooths out. Anything under that and it the tach needles bobs up and down and if i let go the accel, it immediately dies.

1) I accidentally broke one of the sensors on the back of the intake manifold installing the engine, im not sure what it is, but its a small round bolt in sensor, looks like a temperature sensor of some sort. A new sensor is on the way

2) there is a plug down underneath intake, right by the starter. It comes off the main engine harness and it has 2 prongs inside. I have no idea what it goes to.

3) is there anyone who can describe the routing for the throttle cables? There is one for the throttle, the cruise, and one comes off the tranny. I cant remember where they go exactly.

First impressions i thought it was a bad egr, but i cleaned and swapped the old one in, Im gonna check for spark on all for cylinders, and if thats good, I may move onto the injectors to make sure fuel is good. If anyone has any ideas as to why it wont idle properly please chime in.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

The spooner link I posted in the online manuals thread in the main DIY section has a 94 accord shop manual that you can download.

The sensor you broke is probably the air intake temperature sensor. It is on the driver's side of the intake up against the firewall.

What are the wire colors of the two-pin plug coming off of the main wire wire harness?

Old 07-26-2010, 08:50 PM

Thanks alot, I will download the manual. I will get to the shop tommorow and see what color the wires are. I pulled the codes using a little piece of wire, and found that it was throwing the IACV, and intake temp code. I will swap the IACV from the old engine and see if it helps the idle.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:03 PM

well i got it figured out. turns out the temp sensor was the main culprit. It was causing the car to miss and idle extremely rough. I cleaned the IACV and the installed the new sensor and she idles like a charm.

FYI the manual and auto engines are diff in some small aspects. the throttle bodies were diff and had to be swapped (thats what the extra cable was)

I appreciate all the help you guys gave me.