General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Please help Honda Accord 99ex

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 01:47 PM
Default Please help Honda Accord 99ex

1999 Honda Acccord Ex V6.
We just recently bought a used accord, 105k miles, v6 about two months ago. The car is showing issue recently. The car would die while I'm driving it and when I try to start it back up again, it won't start but will crank. It doesn't sound like it's a starter problem or battery or alternator. The car will then start after 10 minutes. I'm not sure if this is related but when the car died one time, put the car on neutral and I pulled over to the side. I put the car in park then try to remove the keys out of the ignition and it's not letting me. I tried putting key to start mode to move the transmission to neutral so i can push the car some more to the side but the auto trans won't let me move it to neutral. Please help and let me know if this is related. Thanks guys.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:15 PM
Default RE: Please help Honda Accord 99ex

Sounds like it could be the ignition switch. There was an ignition switch recall for the 98-02 models. Write down your VIN# and call a Honda dealer and ask them if the recall applies to your car. If it does, they should do the work free of charge.

A fairly neanderthal way of testing whether it is a flaky ignition switch would be to try to replicate the problem by wiggling the key while in the ignition. If the car cuts off, the ignition switch could be the cause. Don't go buying a new ignition switch or anything just yet. that was just my first notion of the problem. If the recall does not apply to your car, and if the wiggle test doesn't yield any results - we need to test some more things.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:47 PM

Thank you! Question though, if it's the ignition, why would it the starter crank up? I'm curios. Thanks again!

Old 05-12-2008, 02:58 PM

I don't really have a good answer for you there. The 98-02 ignitions have been described as "flaky." Ignition was just the 1st thing that popped into my head. You may be right though. Sometimes I can hit the nail on the head and others I am just poking and hoping hehe

Old 05-12-2008, 03:40 PM

Believe it or not, the main relay is still a problem with Accords....And most likely the issue. We have had '99 Accords, Acura Legends and Acura RLs towed in for main relay failure, which would shut off the fuel pump while driving.

I wouldgo ahead and replace both the main relay and the ignition switch contacts. The ign. switch contacts, and professional installation would be less than $150.

Asthe previous respondentstated, the ignition switch contacts melting and moving are a very common problem (" described as flaky")...The vehicle has over 100k miles and there is no telling how much weight (number of keys and junk on a key ring) have been hanging on the ign. switch. with the previous owner.

Go get Honda part# 35130-S84-A01 or 35130-S84-305. This part only lists from Honda for $47.91 and replace it. Also get Honda Part number 39400-S84-A01 for the main relay replacement.

Guaranteed that if you don't replace the ign. contacts, they will fail and you will be towing that car home or to a shop

Sincerely,
Ed Brian
Accurate Automotive, Inc.
www.accuratecars.com

Old 05-12-2008, 04:33 PM

Thanks Ed! I'm not tech savvy, please tell me where is the main relay located? is this part of the ignition switch contact? and also how is that part for the main relay?

Old 05-12-2008, 04:50 PM

The main relay is located under the dash, just above the underdash fuse panel (on the drivers side) photo included....

It is a separate part from the ign. contacts. The ign. contactsare behind the mechanical part of the ign. switch inside the upper and lower case halves behind the steering wheel. The contacts have a blue housing encasing them.

[IMG]local://upfiles/16306/9ABD13F4275D4440969CEF23BECE799C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-12-2008, 05:01 PM

Thanks again ED. You mention less than $150 to replace theignition contact. What about the main relay? how much would you say to replace them both? I called Honda and I asked them about the ignition recall and unfortunately my vin# was not included to the recall. By the way, will it be better if I just replace the whole ignition thing? and how much? Thanks Ed.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:56 PM

Also sounds like the neutral safety switch.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:26 PM

May also have a fuel pump issue, have seen a few, but out of the hundreds ive worked on, have only seen a few, so probally not likely but possible, I have to agree with the main relay. Just posting possibilities...good luck!

Quick Reply: Please help Honda Accord 99ex