General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plug Socket Stuff

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 12:34 PM
Default Plug Socket Stuff

So I bought some new iridium plugs for my newly purchased used Honda. I have no idea about the plugs that are current so I want to change them out. Plus, I've never done it before and I've been slowly been trying to give my car a DIY tune up. When I was at the store, I had the sales rep help me purchase a plug socket since I wasn't sure what size I needed. He grabbed the iridium plugs that i bought and sized them up to the correct size socket - 5/8"

So when I went to switch out the old plugs for the new, I used the socket, however the 5/8" plug socket seemed too big for the current plugs because I couldnt get a grip on it it. My ratchet just keept spinning.

Can I safely assume that the plugs that are currently in my car are a different size? Therefore a different brand? Is this now just a matter of getting a slightly smaller plug socket to take my current plugs out? Can there be different size plugs for the same vehicle? Are plug sizes dependent on the brand?

One more thing. How important is it to guage the gap on the new NGK iridium's since I'm installing the reccomended plug?

Old 01-08-2007, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Plug Socket Stuff

There is no way to know what plugs are in the engine; I'd say to get a socket to fit them and remove them.
The recommended spark plug for that engine is NGK ZFR5F-11; [as per the underhood sticker]Only the parts stores recommend platinum plugs, something to do with 'profit' and countersales 'commision'.
You will need to be sure to let the fuel system pressurize all the way before starting the engine when cold if you are using "needlepoint" spark plugs.
I've repaired many 'cold start' flooding problems by taking those spark plugs out [and throwing them as far as I can]and installing the normal spark plugs.

Old 01-08-2007, 05:30 PM
Default 'needle point' platinium plugs

What are 'needle point' platinium plugs .

I bought the irdium NGK ZFR5FlX-11. This is all they had in stock. I was told by some on this site that they are same as the NGK ZFR5F-11, but a bit more pricey? Are these needle point. What does needle point mean in terms of how it effects the engine?

Old 01-08-2007, 06:11 PM
Default RE: 'needle point' platinium plugs

I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark here because I don't understand that terminolgy but I believe he is referring to the type of spark plugs that the electrode comes down to a point instead of the standard design of it being flat on the top...

Old 01-08-2007, 06:53 PM
Administrator

I think that is what HondaDude was meaning about those plugs, and Im sure he will be back to clarefy what he ment..these techs always have their own words for things on or in a car .

WheelBrokerAng [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 01-08-2007, 08:47 PM

i just checked them. They are flat on top...so??

any help with the first part of my question regarding guage on a new plug? thanks

Old 01-09-2007, 03:33 AM
Super Moderator

Check the box/package of the plugs, look for a warning about not using a gap gauge. Normally, the reason for such a warning is there's a tiny little chunk of iridium attached to each electrode. It's real easy to knock that off, by sticking the gap gauge in there.

However... pay attention to the package for any evidence of damage that mighthave bent the electrodesince it left the factory.

Old 01-09-2007, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

This plug went in the trash, same complaint "no start cold engine" But; the car sat overnight and when I went to pull it in I turned on the key and waited 5 seconds for the fuel pressure to come up; it started fine.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5417/4A40E78F41034A70B05632C26F09916D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-09-2007, 09:00 PM

ORIGINAL: maro

i just checked them. They are flat on top...so??

any help with the first part of my question regarding guage on a new plug? thanks
If it's a standard plug like you are mentioning I personally slide a gap guage in there just to check them for my own personal knowledge but have almost never had to adjust one....

Old 01-10-2007, 12:25 PM

Okay. I will guage it for safe measure. thanks. BTW. Nice photo Hondadude. Love the plug posing elagantly against the the ashtray. Has an artistic feel too it. Actually it basically gave me a chuckle this morning.

Quick Reply: Plug Socket Stuff