General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plug wire boots melted to plugs

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 05:40 PM
Default Plug wire boots melted to plugs

Working to do tune up on 1999 Accord LX got new distributor cap and rotor (installed) and went to pull boots off plugs and all heck broke loose literally. The plug wires are aftermarket and have hard plastic type or bakelite (sp) boots to plug. First plug dust cover came off np then the boot broke in pieces so I had to remove little bits at a time due to it being melted onto the plug. Still have part on one side of plug and can not get socket into the plug. How can this happen? Has anyone else had it happen and how do you overcome this to get the plugs out and new plugs and wires in?

Old 05-15-2011, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

A good reason to buy NGK wires!

I think you'll need a set of hook end picks to pull old pieces of insulator off the plug. I suspect will be a tedious job.

It would help to remove the valve cover and remove the spark plug tubes, however I'm uncertain how the spark plug tubes are removed, or even if they are removable. Manual does not show removal of tubes, but they don't appear to be integral part of the head. Anyone?

good luck

Old 05-15-2011, 07:58 PM
Newest Of Newbies

The spark plug tubes are defintatly not removable, not with the head in tact. I had a cracked head from a F23A1 that I stripped to sell for the aluminum, and there is no way to get the tubes out with out wrecking them. They are a press fit and are in very tight!

Old 05-16-2011, 11:38 AM
Default Hook tool needed

I was fortunate enough to get out 2 of 4 by twisting the center metal that seated on the plug enough times around it broke loose the melted stuff from the spark plug tube. Unfortunately I now have 2 of 4 to contend with. I am trying to pull out the debris and get to the plug so I can remove and replace the plugs. NGK going in. The wires were blue and aftermarket. This is my step nephews car and has become the hardest repair I have ever done on a vehicle. Will continue as he needs his car today. Hopefully successful with hook tool Thanks for the input I really appreciate it.