General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Plug wires...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 08:53 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Plug wires...

Quick general question about plug wires.I am in the process of gathering everything I need for a complete tuneup and found "performance wires" and OEM wires.
Auto Parts and Accessories Catalog - 1993 Honda Accord Spark Plug Wire Performance/Accessory

I do wanna do little things like k&n filter, iridium plugs,etc but I can get performance plugs wire starting at around $50 or the NICE OEM replacement wires for around that price also.Judging from this link(I will be ordering from here) what would be the pros/cons on going for the entry level performance plugs, VS the higher end OEM replacements?
Thanks in advance,
The cyclops
Oh,and any good or bad info on "the tornado fuel saver"?

Old 07-25-2011, 12:40 AM
Super Moderator

For the spark plugs, stick with the NGK spark plugs recommended for your car, nothing else. The longer lasting irridium plugs can give Hondas starting problems on cold starts, and are expensive. In the long run, the V-power plugs are cheaper. You just need to change them every 24K miles. The iridium plugs are around 100K.

Also get either NGK, Denso, or Honda spark plug wires. They will last forever. You will not gain any performance out of the "performance wires".

I doubt the tornado fuel saver actually does anything to drastically increase gas mileage.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:12 AM
Almost A Senior Member

The Tornado Fuel Saver has "gimmick" and "junk" written all over it. Just like that nonsense you plug into the cigarette lighter to save gas.
‪Test It Tuesday: The Tornado Fuel Saver‬‏ - YouTube

I agree with PAhonda entirely. Tegger's website has a section about aftermarket or performance plug wires.
Neglect or aftermarket: Which is worse?
What's your main motivation? To get bigger spark? Doesn't really translate to much in my opinion and there are no real measurable gains in anything except the money you're losing.

I would stick with the recommended components like PAhonda said. I have the same car as you I believe (1993 Accord 4-cyl 2.2l), I replaced the original wires in this car and the NGK plugs that were in here with as close a recommended replacement I could find which were the same NGK V-Power Copper plugs (set of 4 for $9.20 at Autozone) and the NGK blue wires. I think you're paying too much for those wires you've listed to begin with. The set of blue NGK wires are only $35.00 at AutoPartsWarehouse and that comes with the ignition coil wire (make sure you get this, some sets don't come with this on AutoPartsWarehouse), these are "performance" enough for me.

NGK Spark Plug Wire Direct OE replacement

And look, it's a "bestseller". Ignore that part where it says it does not include the coil wire. It does, it's pictured and it even says so in the search result but they just copy and pasted the same description from the entry for the plugs without ignition coil wire. If it makes you feel better put your car into the website and then search for "plug wires" sorting price from low to high and go down the list until you see it for yourself. The plugs without ignition coil wire are $2.00 less so I think you would want to pay an extra $2.00 and get the ignition coil wire also to match.

If you throw enough stuff into your cart to total >=$50.00 at AutoPartsWarehouse you get free shipping saving you another $10-$14.00 if you were going to order >=$50.00 worth of parts anyway. Throw in an air filter or something, spark plugs with those wires and you make out like a bandit.

Last edited by MessAround; 07-25-2011 at 05:29 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:01 AM
Newest Of Newbies

OK,Thanks guys.NGK V-power,I wasnt aware if the issues with iridium plugs,also wasnt aware how cheap v-power was at autozone.I see that the densos and NGK are reasonable,may check on OEM hondas as well,just to see if they are same price range...Havent checked the youtube video on the tornado yet but going to in a few minutes.
I would say my main motivation is that I am OC about my car,and I want to make sure I am getting the most out of my it,especially as soon as I get it.I know the plugs are due to be changed,so figure I'll do the wires as well and they look kinda old anyway and appear to be aftermarket cheapies.
Thanks for the info fellows!!!

Old 07-25-2011, 08:09 AM
Almost A Senior Member

I mean the internet is rife with this stuff:
‪Fuel Saver Scams‬‏ - YouTube

The fuel saving things are gimmicks and that's putting it kindly. They're actually underhanded scams made to part people from their money. Don't fall for it. It's almost like the automotive counterpart of the magnetic bracelets and powerbands. Magnets are used because they're mystical to people who have no idea how they work. It's no surprise magnetic powerbands are supposed to increase your energy and these same magnets have found their way under the hood, except now these magnetic collars adjust molecules in fuel.

Looking For A Miracle: We Test Automotive 'Fuel Savers' - Popular Mechanics

THE DYNO SAYS: Both devices reduced peak horsepower by more than 10 percent. The Intake Twister increased fuel consumption by about 20 percent; the TornadoFuelSaver provided no significant change.
Which comes as no surprise. You're interfering with the way the air is designed to go through the system. If the Honda engineers thought it was a good idea to create a tornado they would have put that in there themselves so they can get that extra MPG savings to brag about.

The staff at UTI was reluctant to install it: The bent sheetmetal vanes looked as if they might break off and be digested by the engine.
If that happened all I could say is ouch. I thought getting oil in my cylinders was bad, imagine putting that Slap Chop looking thing in there.

Last edited by MessAround; 07-25-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:05 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I think of all the stuff I have read on the "tornado",the most convincing proof is "If it really helped,car manafacturers would build them this way to brag about better gas mileage/more power".Makes perfect sense.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:14 AM

When I tuned up my 93 EX I did:
cap, rotor, wires, plugs, fuel/air filter & pcv. Also if u have time & $$ do a drain and fill on the tranny, change oil & filter, drain and fill radiator.
Doing routine maintaince is the best way to keep an old car runnin smooth.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:37 AM
Supper Moderator

NGK spark plugs (which ever you want I use the Nitrous plugs cost under $4 a plug)
NGK wires…all day every day

Like stated above the wires will NOT give you any more power unless you go with a thicker wire. Which is not needed unless you are putting some serious power down.
Also the "tornado" thing is a HUGE joke and waste of money. It has been proven over at H-T.com that it reduces you air flow when you start to get into your power band. So all in all you lose power not gain any.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:31 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by g22cd5
NGK spark plugs (which ever you want I use the Nitrous plugs cost under $4 a plug)
NGK wires…all day every day

Like stated above the wires will NOT give you any more power unless you go with a thicker wire. Which is not needed unless you are putting some serious power down.
Also the "tornado" thing is a HUGE joke and waste of money. It has been proven over at H-T.com that it reduces you air flow when you start to get into your power band. So all in all you lose power not gain any.
Yes I am leaning towards NGK wires and plugs from this discussion,but the Honda OEM wires and plugs are roughly same price and considering them as well.I really am glad that I know about the "tornado"now,I was really getting ready to order it and a K&N filter,performance plugs,wires,etc...but maybe just a plain ole'OEM everything,from plugs to filter and everything in between...Although I did just change the oil and am running 3.5 Quarts of PP and 1/2 quart of MMO And thats def not OEM

Old 07-26-2011, 10:37 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Where are you seeing the price for the wires? Everywhere I search puts the OEM Sumitomo wires at a far higher price than the NGK blue wires. I'm seeing them at a price of roughly $45.00 for the cylinder wires alone and an extra $16.00 for the ignition coil wire.

Also not sure if this is true but pulled this from another thread on another forum, someone e-mailed NGK about the lifetime of their blue wires and got this...

Hello,

Because NGK wires use a wire winding instead of a carbon core (like the OE wires) the resistance inside the wire will remain virtually the same for the life of the wires and so our wires can easily last over 100k miles so long as they are not damaged or contaminated. NGK wire sets also carry a limited lifetime warranty so be sure to hang onto the purchase receipt. Hope this helps, thank you.

Regards,

Brandon Peeler

Last edited by MessAround; 07-26-2011 at 10:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Plug wires...