General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PO 141 O2 senser - need advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 07:07 AM
Default PO 141 O2 senser - need advice

My wife's 2003's CEL has been on for a year now and I have been putting it off, but now since we moved to NC, it needs to be fixed in order to pass inspection. I took it to advance and they came up with PO 141. Its a o2 senser. I would love to know if there are any photo's on where it is located on the car and if a buying a sensor from Advanced is worth it. I have never worked on a accord before. Its a 2003 vtec 4 cylinder engine. Any help would be great.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

P0141 is an electrical fault in the heating circuit of the secondary (aft of catalytic converter) O2 sensor. This usually means the heating element has failed open but could be a fuse (No 18 under dash), wiring fault, or connector fault.

First check fuse 18 and be sure it's good. Next step is to reset the ECU (Advance may not do this!) and see if code immediately returns. A scanner of some type is necessary to reset ECU. If code returns, then repair will be necessary.

O2 sensor is readily available from Honda, parts stores, ebay, and other online sources.

good luck

Old 12-30-2010, 05:09 PM

I have had 2 different Advance auto guys say its location is down under the hood area, but most everyone on this forum says its behind the cat under the pasenger seat or back pasenger seat area. What do you think, I tend to believe the guys on the forums then the advanced guys. Also, do you know if there is any step by step instructions on replaceing this sensor. Po141- Do you know of the part number from honda ?

Old 12-30-2010, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

The sensor, as stated, is aft of the cat converter....almost about where the center console between the seats, of course under the car on the exh pipe. It will look much like a sprk plug screwed into the exhaust, just has wires coming out the top. Not that bad of a job-of course check everything else before replacing parts. If you don't have the tool for changing it, see if they rent one at the store you buy the new sensor from.

What part of NC if you don't mind me asking.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

ADDING: When I posted I saw your second. I think I helped on the location-should have said front seats, it will be not that far behind the cat-foot or so at most.

You can go to the dealer, however I'd look for a good aftermarket brand (Denso or Bosch-these are my opinions).

Old 12-30-2010, 05:16 PM

You will need to drive the car up on ramps or elevate on jack stands to access the O2 sensor.

good luck

Old 12-30-2010, 05:53 PM

wilmington area, Any idea what the part number would be on that sensor ? I like buying OEM from places other than the dealership if possible, from other stores, but they usually require a part number.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:37 PM

Check ebay for NGK sensor for your vehicle. It should be similar quality to OEM (Denso?).

I saw Denso O2 sensor available also.

good luck

Old 12-30-2010, 06:44 PM

Ok this was from bkhondaparts.com the 2 sensors are 16 and 17 this photo came up after plugging in my vin number. with advance telling me its PO141 and the forum saying its the back sensor, would I need 17. I feel in my gut this is the sensor I need. the part number is 36532 raa a01 for the OEM part Sells for 66$ # 17 showes to be the furthest sensor back. Can you back me up, is this the one I need?

Old 12-30-2010, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

#17 or #31, dont know the dif between "A" and "B" in the pic you have. but either way the code is for the sec/aft cat sensor.

And once again, please use the advise from TX-check everything first, if you get under the car-use stands. None of use like depending on a .10~.20 o-ring to keep a car from coming down on top of us.

P.S.-you're on the coast-cool. I'm NE of Raleigh ~ 20 miles.

Quick Reply: PO 141 O2 senser - need advice