General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

possible timing question need HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 06:56 PM
Default possible timing question need HELP

I just replaced the motor on my 94 accord and changed the timing belt on the used motor i got. it had no distributor so i used my old one. I got the motor in tried to turn it over and it tries to start but wont. it sounds like ****. i cant explain the way it sounds but its like waw waw waw waw. i tried to explain. anywaysi replaced the timing belt same as it come off rotated it a few times and was still lined up. is it possible the distributor being in the wrong place can cause it?any help greatly appreciated

Old 11-20-2007, 07:07 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: possible timing question need HELP

i would say check to make sure you have compression and ignition timing. It sounds almost like theres no compression + the starter is just spinning the engine.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:04 PM

how wouldi check ignition i know motor is good it was running b4 pulled on old car

Old 11-21-2007, 02:03 AM

There are several things that could be screwed up or off:

You might want to line up the engine to top dead center and then check the alignment and make sure that the appropriate valves are open/closed.

I'm not sure how your distributor works but a lot of older honda's can only be 180 degrees off, but judging by the sound I don't think the distributor is the issue. Sounds compression related.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:57 PM

i dont have a compression checker but i took the plugs out and put the wires back on and each cylinder blew the wires out so i was figuring compression was ok and even heard it running b4 it was pulled out of car and i purchased

Old 11-21-2007, 04:32 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

try again bro .... we're looking for 170-180 psi. Your engine could be rebuilt without piston rings and it will still blow the plugs off of the holes.

Old 11-22-2007, 05:53 PM

I messed with firing order and it started for like 2 seconds and quit. it sounds like garbage for the little bit it was started. if the timing is off a little bit do you think that could cause it. i thought i did it right and i do know when i am lined up on crankshaft the 1 cylinder is at top caused i put a screwdriver in plug hole?

Old 11-23-2007, 07:14 PM

Well I took the timing cover off ....again and i noticed that the camshaft was off say 1/4" (give or take) off to the right. i didnt check the balance shaft or anything else but with that being off a little would that still cause it to not run properly.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Make sure your plugs firing order is correct, connect a timing light to #1, and check base timing while turning engine over. I suspect your base timing (distributor) is way off.

good luck

Old 11-24-2007, 01:25 PM

If your plugs are out of order or your timing (camshaft/crankshaft) is out it will not run. if your camshaft was off 1/4" and your crank was at TDC then you've got to correct that before you do anything.

Quick Reply: possible timing question need HELP