General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

possible to wire up an extended idle/ high idle switch?

Old 04-07-2012, 06:40 PM
Default possible to wire up an extended idle/ high idle switch?

I have a 2005 accord lx, 4 cylinder with a *manual* transmission.

I take my shepherd with me about everywhere and during the summer months i leave the car running with the AC on. Is it possible to wire up a switch that would bump the idle up to 1200 or 1500 rpms?

Old 04-07-2012, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

Why do you want to bump up the idle?

Old 04-08-2012, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Why do you want to bump up the idle?
Because the ac system works better at higher rpms and as it is right now with the car idling and the ac on, it shakes.

I am talking about hours of idle time....

Old 04-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

wow - you can def make something to work to do what you want but wow I feel bad for whoever buys the car from you.
Idling the car for hours during the summer cannot be good for it.
I really do not understand why you want to leave a dog in a running car for hours at a time, why not leave him at home where it is cool and safe?
But it is your dog and your car so...

Old 04-08-2012, 11:43 AM

Dont put him down crispin, let him continue! He is giving guys like us buisness and money!

Old 04-08-2012, 05:05 PM

I used to have diesel ford trucks that I would leave idling all day long with no problems. I moved and no longer have a need for a large truck so I bought this 2005 honda accord. It only has 48k miles on it. My dog is much more important to me than any honda could. ever be. My dog would also much rather sit in the car all day long than be left at home.

So does anyone have any technical input on how to accomplish high idle?

Old 04-08-2012, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

Your car is drive by wire, so the throttle plate is driven by an electric motor. There is a cable attached to the gas pedal that goes to a sensor on the passenger's side of the firewall. You may be able to keep the app sensor open a bit to get to the proper rpm.

Without looking at a wiring diagram, you may be able to wire up a resistor to fool the ECU into thinking the gas pedal has been pushed. Not sure how to go about doing this.

The other thing I would check is that your a/c system is properly charged. This would require having the high and low side pressures tested and the temperature at the vents.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:23 PM

well buddy your Honda will never be a diesel truck.
If your dog is that important to you then you do not want to risk leaving him in a hot car in the summer.
One day that car will stall out and stop running and turn into an oven with your precious loved one trapped inside, he will die.
Honda's are not designed to idle all day, period.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with crispin's concerns. I think it would be safer for your pet to stay at home instead of being cooped up in a car for hours at a time.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by 90pioneer
So does anyone have any technical input on how to accomplish high idle?
I don't think you're going to have much luck. Earlier models varied the idle speed by varying the duty cycle of ground to one side of the idle air control solenoid. IDK how later models vary the idle or if they even have an IAC. In any case it would take quite some engineering work to figure out how to fool the electronics into ramping up the idle on demand.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: possible to wire up an extended idle/ high idle switch?