General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

potential dashboard issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 12:58 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default potential dashboard issue

ok first off its a 95 honda accord ex 2.2 vtech, i was driving the other day and my RPM guage starts going up and down fast, no issues with motor car handles and is driving ok i stop the car and battery light comes on i put on gas it the battery light turns off, then i notice the rpm guage is going up in tune with the left turn signal..... then i stop yet again for a stop light it turns green and i put on gas the car just revs only moves a bit faster then a dead stop coast... take foot off gas apply gas again and it works... i pull into a parking lot it starts doing it again so i start manually shifting it it works fine... has yet to do the dead stop not wanting to go into gear thing anyone have ANY idea this is starting to irritate me cuz of course i can't find the OBD1 and adaptor i need to check for errors, also i don't have to manually shift it anymore it works fine from D4

Old 08-23-2012, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

Have the alternator checked, the battery light is actually the charging system indicator. But, take a look at the belt tension too.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

Although the problems are probably due to the alternator, to answer your question where the service connector to retrieve any trouble code(s):

Blue service connector

Old 08-23-2012, 08:29 AM
Newest Of Newbies

i cannot find a shop or store locally that has that adapter for the obd1 and with this car i have chased problems and 400-500 dollars later its always an -easy- fix lol, about ready just to sell the thing but i love it so much lol, and the issues with not going with the gas haven't happened since it did it that once, and i have tried tried hard to make it redo it lol

Old 08-23-2012, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

As I stated, it is most likely the alternator or the alternator belt tension. Most auto parts shop will test the alternator for free.

You would just use a small paper clip or wire to jump the blue service connector to retrieve any codes, see above link. The alternator going out will not give any specific trouble code(s); however, electrical power issues due to low charge from the alternator may or may not cause other sensors and ECU to show trouble code(s).

Old 08-23-2012, 07:17 PM
Newest Of Newbies

ok so upon inspecting the car the ground going from negativ side of battery to the engine is severed, could this have been the issue?

Old 08-23-2012, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, it may be the source of the problems.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:28 PM
Newest Of Newbies

amazing thank you, now i just have to wait for the cable to come in hopefully car will be in tip top shape tomorrow

Old 08-28-2012, 01:03 AM
Newest Of Newbies

ok update, found that the positive battery conenctor was very loosely connected to the battery and the negative ground to the engine was frayed all to hell, replaced negative cable and tighten positive problem seemed fixed for a few days... then tonite after work i turn car on and battery light won't go off i get almost home and it was almost like the car didn't wanna go from a dead stop again same issue where it just didn't wanna kick into gear and go, i get home and notice like all of my lights are dim including the headlights i turn it off try to turn it back on and all it does is click.... WTF lol still possibly an alternator issue or a battery issue?

Old 08-28-2012, 01:14 AM
Super Moderator

Get the alternator checked.

Quick Reply: potential dashboard issue