General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power door lock noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 02:50 PM
beerpyle
Unregistered
Default Power door lock noise

I have a problem with the power door locks in my 95 accord ex. it has the 2.2l vtech and everytime I lock the doors the driver side door makes a loud grinding noise like its trying to lock and keeps trying to lock 2-7 times everytime i lock the door. The lock still works but this is a very annoying and embarrassing problem to have. Can anyone help me out? Also it is a 2 door.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:52 PM
Cooper622
Unregistered
Default RE: Power door lock noise

I have a 95 Honda Accord as well. I wish I could help you out....But I am currently experiencing the same thing. I agree with you that it is pretty embarassing. When I locked the doors it would make a loud noise and then click many times. After a couple of months of that problem it stopped clicking when I lock the doors and it just makes the loud noise when I lock them which is still embarassing. I am looking for an answer on how I can fix this problem as well...

Old 06-03-2008, 12:58 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Door lock actuator. Either the gears are stripped or the rubber bumper isnide is dislodged. Buy a new one and inspect the old one when you take it out. If the bumper is just dislodged, superglue it back and return the one you bought.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:47 PM

sounds to me like the bumper is disloged. what I did was not only glue it, but cut up a milk carton and built up a "wall" of shims between the casing of the actuator and where the bumper is. You'll see when you take it apart.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:54 PM

Mod should prolly move this to General-Tech Help.

Old 06-06-2008, 01:39 PM
hanayaro
Unregistered

IN my car, it makes grinding/whirring noises only when locking. The locks still function but the noise is extremely loud and annoying. I’m pretty sure that I might have to change the power door lock actuator but, since it still functions could it be just be grinding gears that I can repair myself? If not. How much do actuators run (front passenger and drivers back have become faulty).

Old 06-06-2008, 03:03 PM

i think they typically run $60-100, most in the mid $80s.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:50 PM

I just changed out both of mine with ones from the junkyard and these both make the noise as well. Is it a quincedence or can something else be fault and causing too much power to run to the actuators??

Old 10-22-2008, 03:01 PM

They were probably bad, they wear out easily. One thing you can do is take them out and open them up. Things that can cause the grinding noise are 1) gears missing teeth/worn/etc. or 2) theres a rubber bump stop in them that stop the arm from going too far. The rubber like to fall out of place, and the arm grinds when it has gone too far.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:34 AM
Default problem solved

been looking at this page for about a 2years now and have only just got fed up of the loud embarrassing noise other people have been talking about- think it will be hard to find a new actuator now as the car's about 20 years old, so i just had a look in side, bit fiddly to get to the actuator- didn't want to mess about with the locking rod as then i would have to re-set it so un-clipped the rod from the door handle- took actuator apart and saw that one bumper had broken- i fitted 3 very small thick rubber 'O' rings (need to be small to ensure they wont jump off) on to the bumper mounting and that almost fixed problem- stopped the awful loud hammering noise but still clicked- so i just bent the bumper mounting inwards slightly to bring it closer to the bit of white plastic that's causing the noise- so all that i needed was a pair of hands to hold the torch and a set of o rings that i had laying about (£5 bought 15 years ago- i knew they'd come in handy)

didnt need to glue anything- i'll let you know when/ if it breaks again!

thanks for the older posts - really helped

uk

Quick Reply: Power door lock noise