General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Locks problem 97 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 11:50 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Power Locks problem 97 Accord

Hi Accord folks- New to me 97 Accord SW, Power locks. When I use the key externally to lock the car, or use the lock button inside the car, I hear a power lock "sound", like it has activated (locked the doors), but none of the doors actually lock. I can lock the car by pushing all of the lock pins (things on the top of the door, don't know what they are called). Thought I'd throw this question out there before I start taking door panels off. Thanks! Dave

Old 01-15-2014, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

It may be a loose ground wire running through the driver's door jamb or a problem with the power door lock control unit located in the driver's door. You can download the 94 Accord service manual (which is somewhat similar to your 97) in the Common DIY and Other Info. sticky at the top of this forum.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:57 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default door lock

Redbull- I figured the driver's door was probably the "master" of the system. If I pull a door panel to investigate, that's where I thought I'd start. Since it does make the motorized "click!" sound, I figured it was some mechanical malfunction and not a ground. The Control unit would probably be a pretty easy / cheap thing at my local U Pull It yard to try. Dave

Old 01-15-2014, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

Is your Accord an SE, you typed SW in your first post?

If it is an SE, you don't have the power door lock control unit in the driver's door. You would have a keyless/security control unit under the passenger seat.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:00 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default locks

Red- it's a wagon, (SW) don't remember what designation- DX maybe? Cloth seats, no sunroof, no ABS, pretty basic really. does have electric windows.

My folks gave it to me at Christmas- so I'm coming over from the Volvo side.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

If it is a LX wagon, it has the standard power door lock control unit in the driver's door.

If it is an EX wagon, the keyless door lock control unit is under the driver's seat.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:20 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Locks

Red- Just went out and looked- it's an LX. Standard set up as I figured. So I guess I'll pop the door panel off this weekend see if I can see anything. Thanks for the information.

I was on the Drive Accord forum for a while, but nobody ever replied to any of my posts. Guess I've found my home...Dave

ps- do people ever put leather seats in these Accords?

Old 01-16-2014, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Following diy may help:

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...cycling-48713/

Leather seats were standard on EX models, so are available but expensive. There are aftermarket covers available that fit nicely.

good luck

Old 01-16-2014, 02:23 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default locks

Texas- thanks for that thread, sounds like just what I need! One question- does each door have this actuator or just the driver's door? Seems like the drivers is where I should start. Dave

Old 01-16-2014, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

Each door has an actuator.

Quick Reply: Power Locks problem 97 Accord