General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Loss - hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 04:44 PM
grendel
Unregistered
Default Power Loss - hesitation

Hi,

I have a 1994 Accord LX, automatic with 420K miles. Recently (the last few weeks), it's begun to have a problem where at times it has great difficulty accelerating. When I step on the gas the RPMs actually drop and the car slows, threatening to stall if I keep pressing the gas. It may do this for several seconds or a few minutes, after which it seems to "break through" and drives normally again or, if I pull over and just let the car idle for a few seconds, I can then proceed again without the hesitation. This may occur several times on any given drive. During this time my gas mileage has also decreased sharply. The engine light has come on once or twice but mostly it doesn't.

My mechanic has replaced the rotor, wires, fuel filter, and cleaned the fuel injectors. He's also tested the fuel pump and it seems to have good pressure. He's cleaned the injectors twice and this seems to help for a day or two but then the issue recurs. At this point he seems to be stumped. I've also tried adding gas additives/cleaners to no avail.

Any ideas, advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Power Loss - hesitation

Something is throwing the fuel/air mixture off. O2 sensor would be my guess, even if hasn't setcode. A coolant temp sensor, or manifold pressure sensor might cause this problem.

good luck