General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

power steering fluid bubbling out of reservoir

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 11:26 AM
Default power steering fluid bubbling out of reservoir

Hello, I'm new to the forum and hope someone has seen this before. I've got a 2004 Honda Accord EX V-6 with 160K on it. It's been maintained regularly with regards to fluid changes and maintenance.

I just noticed a puddle of oil on the ground next to the front right tire under the car. After checking out where it could be coming from I noticed there was a lot of power steering fluid under the reservoir. I also noticed the reservoir was low. I cleaned up all the fluid under the reservoir, cleaned the hoses and filled the reservoir.

When I started the car I expected to see fluid coming from the hose but instead I saw the power steering fluid bubbling from the reservoir. It was able to seep out from under the cap that was pushed down all the way. Since there are bubbles I must be getting air into a hose somewhere but I see no other leaks.

the fluid leaks to just under the MINIMUM line and stays there. The fluid does not bubble out after this.

Has anyone ever seen this and know what the problem is. I assume it's the power steering pump.

Lastly, there is a noise like a bearing or squelching belt when I first start it up. the car also seems to drive fine.

thanks in advance.

Last edited by Meter an; 12-01-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Well, you've nailed why this is happening.

Best guess, the o-ring on the ps line where it bolts to the pump is leaking allowing air into the system.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:35 PM

I found this YouTube that agrees with you. Thx.

Old 12-24-2016, 07:56 AM

I presently have the same issue AT FIRST I assumed this was the answer but turns out my Power steering cooler pipe is leaking.
Just figured out what was leaking the Power steering cooler pipe.
Its rusted and dripping power steering fluid. Originally thought all I needed was an O ring for the Power steering pump but no such luck. The car is 12 years old but still low mileage. I think Honda made a cheap pipe but the cost isn't cheap. They want around $160 just for the u shaped pipe seen in one of the first diagrams listed in the above thread. I think the 2004 Honda Accord Ex V6 has a lot of cheaply made or defective components like their transmissions. Just my two sense.

Old 12-24-2016, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

That pipe is on the low/suction side of the system so I would think ps/trans cooler hose would do the trick.....if you don't want a new one ($100 online dealer price) or a used one from a bone yard

Old 12-25-2016, 06:35 AM

https://www.google.com/search?q=2004...m1gdWBE2e7M%3A

See the metal Power steering cooler return line in the lower left of the link. The metal return line is rusted.
Its shaped like the letter U on the right in the drawing.

Last edited by Shane1962; 12-25-2016 at 07:02 AM.
Old 12-25-2016, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, I know the part you are discussing. I went to Majestic Honda and looked it up, that is where I got my estimate for a new one (don't know about shipping $).

So you have choices. A new one, find one in a bone/junk yard....or try splicing rubber hose (properly rated hose) where it is rusted.

Cut out the rusted section, if you could "slightly" flare the ends where you cut the tube it might help, slip the hose over the ends you just cut and clamp it lightly - don't crush the tube with the clamps....yes, I know that is a "rig" job but hey, look at my name

Just trying to give ideas for a solution.......

Old 12-25-2016, 01:07 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by poorman212
Yes, I know the part you are discussing. I went to Majestic Honda and looked it up, that is where I got my estimate for a new one (don't know about shipping $).

So you have choices. A new one, find one in a bone/junk yard....or try splicing rubber hose (properly rated hose) where it is rusted.

Cut out the rusted section, if you could "slightly" flare the ends where you cut the tube it might help, slip the hose over the ends you just cut and clamp it lightly - don't crush the tube with the clamps....yes, I know that is a "rig" job but hey, look at my name

Just trying to give ideas for a solution.......
Another option would be looking on e-bay. You might find the part a little cheaper and with free shipping. That's what I did when I replaced the entire return side for my 99 Accord. All of the parts were genuine Honda too. Just a thought.

Old 12-26-2016, 05:44 AM

Not a bad idea. Decided to buy it online from a Honda seller cost about $102 plus shipping total about $122. Considered making a replacement one out of copper pipe. A guy on Youtube did it using a flaring tool and a pipe bender. The copper one would outlast the car I'm sure but decided the learning curve was too steep for me to learn how to use the flaring tool and pipe bender.

Old 12-26-2016, 11:30 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Shane1962
Not a bad idea. Decided to buy it online from a Honda seller cost about $102 plus shipping total about $122. Considered making a replacement one out of copper pipe. A guy on Youtube did it using a flaring tool and a pipe bender. The copper one would outlast the car I'm sure but decided the learning curve was too steep for me to learn how to use the flaring tool and pipe bender.
Keep in mind that while a copper version won't rust, it'll work harden and crack. That's why the auto companies don't use copper tubing in cars and trucks.
But, using genuine Honda parts to fix your Honda is a better choice. It should last another 12 years before you'll have a problem with it again. Mine's a little older, and I replaced more of it, but I did so because I didn't want to get back in there again to fix another section or 2. And yes, I looked mine over pretty good, and the steel lines were pretty crusty (I live in the salt belt, and the car came from Indy). Add in that the PO drove on dirt roads regularly, and that just adds to problems later on.

Quick Reply: power steering fluid bubbling out of reservoir