General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Power steering issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 08:36 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Power steering issue

hey guys, my power steering is making a loud winding noise when i turn the steering left or right it also feels a lot heavier than usual, after making some checks i realized the small suction hose from the power steering fluid reservoir had torn, i have since replaced the hose but the noise and heaviness in the steering continues..any help would be much appreciated.
98 accord v6

Old 04-18-2010, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

How's the fluid? How much was lost from that hose? If the pump ran dry maybe it's damaged?

Old 04-18-2010, 05:13 PM

sounds like either the pump is bad or you don't have enough fluid or you have air in the system.

Helps if you have two people to do this...but you can do it yourself..

Assuming you have two people:

What you need to do is run the car, add some fluid to the reservoir then have the person in the car cut the wheel all the way to the left, bounce the steering wheel a few times on the limit, then cut the wheel all the way to the right....bounce it a few times. Repeat a couple of times. Then add more fluid and go back and forth with the steering wheel.

What this will do is get the air that's in the steering rack, lines and pump out of the system. Once that whining noise is gone you should be good to go. Check the fluid after that every once in awhile to make sure you're good.

SnaveZ

Old 04-19-2010, 08:44 AM
Newest Of Newbies

hmmm yea the fluid level is ok now but the noise continues (especially when i have in full lock) am thinkin i may have been running it with the level to low b4 changing the hose, so maybe it is my power steering pump also the noise is coming from the p.s pumps belt area.. what do yall recon?? have it professionally checked out? is the ps pump set up compatible for both right hand and left hand drives or do i have to specify?? i was told the ps top feeed hose isn't so just wanted to be sure b4 i order one from the us since my accord is RHD.. thanx again guys
98 accord v6

Old 04-19-2010, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

I'm pretty sure the hoses at the pump are simply inlet (low pressure coming from the reservoir) & outlet (high pressure going to the rack). The left & right business happens down in the steering rack.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:12 AM
Newest Of Newbies

after a week of tryin to correctly diagnose my steering problem i have finally figured out that it is indeed my pump, hence the fluid isnt circulating as it should.. thanx for the help guys. i'll have to order one from majestic honda..

Old 07-12-2010, 12:21 PM
Newest Of Newbies

98 Accrod LX 4dr auto, 211k miles. Got some issues with my PS pump. I did a lot of searching in this forum to look for something similar to my issue but couldn't find the direction to go with. There are some leaks aorund the PS pump. It's not leaking bad like gushing, only some mist around it that I clean form time to time. Using a mechanic's stethoscope on the PS, I can hear a lot of noise in the PS pump. My question is, should the pump be replaced or can I try the seal kit, flush + Lucas? I have been using the HONDA ATF all this time. Appreciate all the help!

Old 07-12-2010, 03:06 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I don't think you want to use ATF in a Honda PS system and you should start your own thread.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:25 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Sorry. I meant Honda PS fluid (not ATF).

Old 07-12-2010, 03:38 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I learned on this forum that PS leaks will get air in the system and air will give you noise and poor ps performance. Fix the leaks and see if that takes care of the problem.

Quick Reply: Power steering issue