General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Power Steering Overflowing

Old 12-31-2006, 06:53 PM
Default Power Steering Overflowing

Hey all, been a while since I have been around.....

Problem is, power steering reservoir is overflowing and is all bubbly. Right side boot on steering rack is shredded. Rack seems to still be ok, and I plan to replace the boot in a couple days. It might be leaking there, but it is very little.

I need to know what to do about the overflowing and all, what is the causes, etc?? Power steering seems to be 100% operable.

Old 12-31-2006, 06:59 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Power Steering Overflowing

sounds like you got a leak and it is sucking in some air causing it to foam up and raise the fluid level

Old 12-31-2006, 08:35 PM

Makes perfect sense then........I wonder if the leaky rack could be the culprit?? I haven't noticed any major leak but we will be looking tomorrow. I just want to avoid the time/cost of replacing the rack if I can.

Old 01-02-2007, 03:57 AM
Super Moderator

Seems like the only place for air to suck in is where thefluid pressurecan be less than atmospheric. Check the hose from the reservoir to the suction side of the pump.

Also check the reservoir... There's a fine screen down low in the reservoir, it might be dirty / clogged.

Old 01-02-2007, 11:21 AM

I will probably work on it tomorrow, gotta go on a quick trip today. I was planning to completely refill the system and replace the rubber boot on the right side of the rack, I hope that will keep me from having to do the rack. I will post back once I have done the work, thanks for all the help.

Old 01-03-2007, 05:35 AM

HEY.. HAVE YOU ADDED POWERSTEERING FLUID RECENTLY..

IF SO WHAT KIND.. REASON B EING IS THAT HONDAS CAN ONLY TAKE
HONDA POWER STEERING FLUID, RATHER THAN JUST ANY.. IF YOU DID USE A NO NAME BRAND OR ANY OTHER KIND OF PS FLUID OTHER THAN HONDA KIND.. YOUR SYSTEM IS JACKED.. AND MOST LIKELY FOR EVER.. LOL.. IN A GOOD WAY..

I HAD MY HEAD UP MY A.. LIKE A YEAR AGO AND WHEN I SAW MY FLUID LOW I FILLED IT WITH SOME STP PSFLUID..THAT I HAD ON HAND.. AND MY FLUID OVERFLOWED..STARTED TO BOUBLE UP.. AND THEN MY STEERING WHEEL STARTED MOVING BY ITSELF AND WOULD GET VERY VERY I DO MEAN VERY.. VERY STIFF.. HAD TO USE TWO HANDS.. AND PULL WITH WEIGHT..LOL.. I FLUSHED MY SYSTEM WITH HONDA FLUID FROM THE DEALER..ABOUT 4 TIMES ALREADY AND NO LUCK.. GETS A LITTLE .. VERY LITTLE .. BIT BETTER EVERYTIME.. SO NOW I JUST USE ..DANG CANT REMEMBER THE NAMEBRAND.. BUT IT IS SOME BOTTLE THAT HAS TWO DIFFERENT FLUIDS.. AND I JUST PUT SOME IN THERE AND MY STEERING GETS LIKE NEW FOR A FEW WEEKS THEN I GOT TO PUT SOME MORE..BUT IT CONTINUES TO OVERFLOW NO MATTER WHAT.. TRICKLE.. BUT ON HOT DAYS.. HALF OF MY FLUID COMES OUT..LOL.
I WILL; HAVE TO REPLACE ALL OF MY SYSTEM IN THE FURTURE.. DANG.. OHH WELL.. LEARNED.. SORRY FOR THE STORY..LOL..

LOV MY ACCORD.. STILL DROPING BURNERS...

Old 01-03-2007, 08:00 PM

Yep, I know the Honda thing. It should be 100% Honda fluid. I will be flushing it and all that good stuff soon though.

Old 01-24-2007, 04:12 AM

I had a similar problem with my 89 accord. When it was on the dyno I noticed the test guy had to steer the car a lot to keep it straight. About a minute before the test was over I saw a puddle developing under the left side bumper. The guy got out and saw the puddle, said it was brake fluid and of course I failed. I pulled the car out in the parking lot and checked it out and the power steering fluid had gushed out. The level was high and it was foamy.
I drove home and checked it and the fluid was just above the min mark and no foam. I have checked the level every week for a few months and the level is the same and not foam. The power steering has always worked great, no leaks and no problems.

When I bought new tires a few days later I told the tire guy about it and he said he used the work at the test center and told me the dyno’s are real rough on cars.