General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 01:12 PM
Default Power Steering Problem

I noticed the other day that my power steering fluid was low. I refilled it. Now it sprouts out of the canister. I looks like it is boiling over. It comes out of the top of the canister. Does that means I have a bad power steering pump?

Old 10-29-2008, 01:23 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Power Steering Problem

You may have over filled it. Make sure the fluid is between the low and high fill lines. It's normal for the discharge side of the pump to make the reservoir foamy because it's blowing power steering fluid into the reservoir, suction side (bottom of the reservoir) is where it all counts.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:23 PM

Drain the fluid from the bottom of the resoivor, you may have dirty fluid. Power steering pump failures are rare for hondas.

Old 10-29-2008, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Theres a fine mesh screen down low in the reservoir. If the fluid is dirty, you may have to clean that. If thats clogged, it can cause the pump to suck some air & make foam.

When its all clean, its NOT normal for the reservoir to get foamy on any of my Hondas.

Old 10-29-2008, 03:07 PM

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

When its all clean, its NOT normal for the reservoir to get foamy on any of my Hondas.
I should check mine then

Old 10-29-2008, 03:14 PM

Am i the only one that uses the Coastal Honda power steering fluid? Just wondering.

Old 10-29-2008, 03:17 PM

How do youclean the mesh screen in the reservoir? Meaning how do I take it out to clean it.

Old 10-29-2008, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

Seems to be a plastic mesh thats molded into the reservoir. I drained & removed the reservoir & cleaned it up with simple green &hot water. Make sure its really dry before putting it back. I did it in summer on a hot sunny day...

Old 10-29-2008, 06:23 PM

on top of the other suggestions , make sure you did not overfill ,, chk for p/s fluid leak,, could be sucking some air into the system

does the fluid in reservoir looks like is foaming up ??

Old 11-03-2008, 03:13 PM

I think I found the problem. One of the lines is leaking at the power steering pump. It is the one on top of the p/s pump. I tried tightening it and broke one the bolts. I brought new bolts and tighten it again, but it still leaks. What do I need to do so that it won't leak? One other thing, I don't what comes through that line. I don't know if it is brake fluid or power steering fluid. Any suggestions.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Problem