General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 01:33 PM
Angry Power Steering Pump?

Hi everyone,

I just took my Honda Accord in for an oil change and I was told that my power steering pump needs to be replaced. In the morning when I crank it up my car it makes a loud winding noise until the car is completely warmed up. It only does this on cold mornings (Texas weather has been crazy lately). They are saying it's an internal leak and that it will be $495 to fix. I am a girl so I kind of feel like I might be getting ripped off but if anyone else has had this problem or a possible solution please let me know. I would really appreciate it.

It's a 2006 Honda Accord V6.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

Go somewhere else, they are probably B.S.ing you.

It sounds like the same common problem of just the o-ring. Easy and quick job. The o-ring list for $0.67. Might need just a little bit of Honda power steering fluid to top it back off after replacement. Call around for the costs of this replacement if you don't know someone that can do it for you. Most shops will know about this simple problem.

Copy and paste without the quotation marks (" ") to view.

"http://honda-tech.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5850&d=1229542781"

Edit: copy without.

Last edited by redbull-1; 10-19-2011 at 02:13 PM. Reason: typo, copy without
Old 10-19-2011, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

Here's instructions and pictures of someone who did it himself. Also, make sure whoever does it uses the actual Honda power steering fluid (for example, the same fluid as from the dealer).

"http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=42915"

Old 10-19-2011, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Since you live in Texas, I wonder if Texashonda (one of the moderators) may be able to help you or know someone. Hmmm...

This makes me mad if they really are trying to rip you off.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

I had a typo above, copy and paste without quotation marks.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:39 AM

[QUOTE=redbull-1;258537]Since you live in Texas, I wonder if Texashonda (one of the moderators) may be able to help you or know someone. Hmmm...

This makes me mad if they really are trying to rip you off. [/QUOTEThen

Thank you for your response. I've never heard of TexasHonda before. I took it to City Garage yesterday to get a second opinion and they said there were no leaks but that my power steering fluid was dirty and might be the culprit and that it also might need a little boost of air...I don't know. So I had them do a power steering flush. I haven't been outside yet to see if it fixed the problem but moment of truth will be in about an hour when I take my kids to school...

Old 10-20-2011, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Haha. TexasHonda is one of the guys on this forum, a moderator of the forum.

I hope City Garage used Honda power steering fluid.

If the noise still exist, show the shop a copy of the bulletin I referenced previously to have them replace the o-ring. They shouldn't charge too much, it's only a few minute job.

You may not necessarily have a fluid leak; but, air may be entering the system where the o-ring seal is, causing the whining noise you hear when it is cold.

Last edited by redbull-1; 10-20-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:33 PM

I also have the same problem. Really loud sound every morning when i start the car. But me and my dad should be changing it this weekend when my parts get here . Also im using power steering fluid i bought from autozone it said its for honda's. Do you recommend i buy power steering fluid from honda only?

Old 10-20-2011, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

It's best to use the genuine Honda power steering fluid, even though some aftermarket say for Honda, it usually is not be the same. You don't want to take a chance on having the replace the power steering rack later because of it.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Hewmunga
I also have the same problem. Really loud sound every morning when i start the car. But me and my dad should be changing it this weekend when my parts get here . Also im using power steering fluid i bought from autozone it said its for honda's. Do you recommend i buy power steering fluid from honda only?
Just my two cents here...First, PLEASE use Honda PS fluid.

Second, the o-ring issue is/was mainly on the 03's but have seen/read about it on others. Before spending $ on a pump, try the o-ring. Can't promise anything but ~$3 dollars on an o-ring that might save $50 (?) on a pump...hummm.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Pump?