General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Pump weird noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 09:24 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Power Steering Pump weird noise

Just two days ago I went to get my power steering pump replaced, while driving back I can hear a loud noise every time I turn the steering wheel to the left or right. So I took back the car to the shop and they replaced the pump with another one but it still makes the same noise but not as loud as before. The mechanic told me this is normal and give it a few days and the noise will go away. That wasn't really reassuring so I just wanted to hear from you guys, from your experience with replacing the power steering pump if this is normal?

Fyi, the car never made this noise before the pump was replaced.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator

Please give us some more info, like what accord you drive?

Old 07-03-2011, 07:39 AM

It can take a while, for the air to work it's way out of the system, especially with a new pump. If the noise doesn't stop, something else is leaking air. If it's an 03+ model, there could be a defective o-ring on the inlet joint.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:44 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Please give us some more info, like what accord you drive?
accord 2000 sedan Lx

Old 07-03-2011, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

Since two PS pumps made a noise, lets assume that the problem is somewhere else.

Have someone turn the steering wheel. See if the PS fluid gets foamy or you see a lot of air bubbles in the PS fluid reservoir.

I would tighten the PS belt. The noise may be the belt slipping when the car PS pump is under heavy load.

Old 07-03-2011, 02:35 PM
Newest Of Newbies

there isn't foam but there are air bubbles in the reservoir each the wheel is turned which i think is normal since it's pumping the fluid to the PS. i'll try tighten the belt and see if that works. i'll give this a week of driving and see if it goes away.

Old 07-03-2011, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You could have a loose connection, damaged seal, or cracked hose on the suction hose from reservoir to PS pump. This might allow air to enter PS system when engine is running. It wouldn't take much air to affect performance.

good luck

Old 07-04-2011, 09:36 AM

This bulletin is for 03+ Accords, but you may have a leak at the same connection. I would try changing the inlet joint o-ring.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:31 PM
Newest Of Newbies

thanks for the suggestions. i took the car to another mechanic and told me the power steering pump is the problem. said i needed to replace it with an authentic honda brand part instead of the generic unknown brand that's currently installed. i don't know whether he is BSing me or not. what do you guys think?

Old 07-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

A leak at the pump fitting is a good possibility, and likely would be fixed w/ a new pump. Expensive way to fix a leak.

good luck

Quick Reply: Power Steering Pump weird noise