General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering/Smoke

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 07:55 PM
Default Power Steering/Smoke

Hi all,

I tried to utilize the search function but it was to no avail...

Anyways...

About 6 months ago I was getting the infamous power steering whine and googled the issue to find the TSB. Went to Honda and purchased and replaced the problem o-ring. Fixed it and everything was running perfect...

However, my wife came home last week and told me the car was smoking,lol, so I instinctively ran out to see the severity of what she seemed so calm about.

Anyways it was coming from the back of the engine on the passengers side and their was small amounts of fluid all over the hoses in that area. I assumed it was the power steering fluid, but looked at the reservoir to see it hadn't moved a bit. So, I thought that maybe it was just a drop or two of fluid hitting something hot and causing smoke, but this weekend I was driving the car and there was even more smoke then before. I have since parked it until figuring out what to do, but just went to clean the hoses, etc. so I could see where the leak is coming from, and noticed my power steering reservoir is practically empty.

My question is, has this happened to anyone else...I know the o-ring issue is pretty common, but haven't read anything about a huge leak elsewhere along the power steering lines.

Also, how hard is it to replace these hoses? (i.e., would you do it yourself)...as I can just see how a shop would probably charge a lot for this and wanna replace the pump and all that jazz.

And lastly, I know the fumes are dangerous to inhale at prolonged periods, but should I be concerned about igniting a fire when checking for leaks. (I'm assuming the boiling point of the PST is over 300F, so I think i'm fine, but some assurance would be nice)

Thanks for your time and help!

PS: Could this be caused by using non-honda PST? I've never really been one to buy all the OEM fluids...

Old 06-15-2011, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

The year, make, model, etc... info would help. Put it in your signature, so you don't have to remember to enter it ever again.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
The year, make, model, etc... info would help. Put it in your signature, so you don't have to remember to enter it ever again.
Oops...duh...it's a 2004 ex 3.0 engine

Old 06-16-2011, 12:45 AM
Super Moderator

I would try to clean up as much as possible, then try to find the source of the leak. You may want to clean it when the engine is cold.

I never had to replace PS lines before, so I don't know how difficult they are to access.

It may just be a bad o-ring. You will have to inspect to find out the source then decide the best course of action.

Old 06-18-2011, 04:00 PM

Alright, found the leak...it's on the high pressure ps hose...

Is there something I can put on it for now to seal it until my day off when I can get the hose and replace it?

Old 06-18-2011, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

The pressure on the power steering lines is pretty high. Is the leak on a rubber part, or a metal part?

Old 06-18-2011, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

The power steering is one of those components that you should use Honda PS fluid. The other option is to buy aftermarket stuff that is designed for Honda PS.

Old 06-18-2011, 04:22 PM

the leak is on a rubber part of the hose...

Old 06-18-2011, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

The PS system is under high pressure 200+ psi on the high side.

You may be able to get away with using a thicker piece of rubber to cover the hole and use one of those metal hose clamps over the rubber right on top of the hole that you can tighten with a socket or screw driver.

Hopefully it would slow down the leak until you can fix it. It is pretty inexpensive fix and worth a shot.

Old 06-18-2011, 04:58 PM

Hmm...the hole was actually under a foam/rubber sleeve in between a metal clamp and the hose and it was still leaking, so it looks like i'll just have to leave it out of service till I can get to it...

thought there might be some kind of paste or liquid I could use to temporarily seal it (wishful thinking, i know)

Well, thanks for the help, it is appreciated