General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power windows

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 06:58 AM
Default power windows

ok, more problems with my car.... i have a 97 accord se....the driver side power window is broken? it goes down but doesnt want to come back up, all the other windows work fine, relays and fuses are in good shape...what could my problem be? and how do i get it back up with the broken motor!!! need help asap before it rains!

Old 07-07-2011, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

It probably is the power window regulator. It actually is not very hard to replace. Here are some links with instructions.

autorepair.about.com/library/a/1i/bl070i.htm

youtube.com/watch?v=DAf3LWVuGjE

In the youtube video, the window is up, so he could use the access holes in the door frame to remove the two bolts holding the window to the regulator. However, usually when the regulator/motor doesn't work the window will be in the down position (like yours). In your situation, you will need to remove the bolts holding the regulator to the door frame first, then lift the window and regulator together so you can line up the other bolts (holding the window to the regulator) to the access holes to remove the two bolts.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

It may be the regulator as Redbull suggests.

However if there is absolutely no motion up and no sound from the motor on up switch command, I would suggest removing and cleaning the switch. They get dirty and refuse to make contact preventing operation. I had a case fixed just last week w/ this procedure.

Switch work needs to be done on a towel and carefully to avoid losing parts.

good luck

Old 07-07-2011, 10:19 PM

thanks TExas, it was the switch, i guess its out...i took a small needle and pressed the small metal piece down and the window did go up..i looked more closely at the main power switch and it seem like the contact spot is burnt ? when i click down i saw a little smoke and spark coming out, what could this be? should i just invest in a new switch?

btw: i tore my whole door panel apart, door handle cracked...at the end it was just the freakin switch!!!! argh!

Old 07-18-2011, 08:53 AM

Hey what was the end result of this i boughtanew regulator and it will only go down, his hardwas it cleaning tthe switch does it actually open up when you unscrew it? Thanks guys!

Old 07-18-2011, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by livinlifes2short
Hey what was the end result of this i boughtanew regulator and it will only go down, his hardwas it cleaning tthe switch does it actually open up when you unscrew it? Thanks guys!
yes it works, i cleaned the switch and did some tests and noticed that on mine the up motion was not clicking or touching the connection, so i pushed the connector down and the window went up.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:28 PM

Sweet will give it a try in the am

Old 07-18-2011, 09:10 PM
Administrator

I just cleaned the drives door window switch and blew away the dust ball that formed down there..it was working sparotically so I just took out the door switch panel and cleaned them all..now she goes Swisssssssshhhhhh..

Old 07-18-2011, 10:43 PM

Holy crap had some time tonight and pulled it apart broke one of the top switch covers but man that thing was nasty! When I pushed it toward it made no noise I sprayed wd in there and took a paper clip and now it clicks away had to be the problem gonna let it dry over night and find out if my motor was even bad!

Old 07-19-2011, 08:09 PM

So i pluged it in this morning and it was not clicking again' took a screw driver and pushed the prong down and winks motor went up. These switches are expensive the local yard did not have any. Any one recomend where tto get one cheap and fast?

Quick Reply: power windows