General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Primary Heated o2 sensor circuit malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 05:49 PM
Default Primary Heated o2 sensor circuit malfunction

I have a 2000 Honda Accord
My CEL came on months ago, had it scanned it was throwing the code "p0132" so i had the primary sensor changed but as soon as i turned the car on my CEL came back on and now its throwing the code "p0135" for the heater circuit malfunction. . My question is... What do i do??.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

What brand and type O2 sensor was used? Was it a Denso or some other brand? Was it a direct-fit with the correct electrical connector; or was it a universal sensor where you had to splice wires to the connector wires?

If it was a sensor that needed wires spliced, it may be due to bad splicing. It could also be a bad aftermarket sensor. Whether the sensor was a direct fit or universal, the connector should also be checked that it is firmly connected.

Also check the No. 6 (15A) fuse located in the driver's side interior fuse box.

Attached Thumbnails Primary Heated o2 sensor circuit malfunction-interior-fuses.jpg  
Old 11-05-2012, 04:56 PM

I's a Denso.. and it had the conncetor for it.. i bought it from a Honda place so it should be the right one.. the first sensor was a universal and needed to be spliced and it kept throwing the same p0132 code pretty much saying the sensor was bad so i bought the Denso with the connector. That's when it threw the "heater circuit malfunction code po135" so the no.6 (15A) fuse could be the problem? and would i have to take it somewhere to have it checked?

Old 11-05-2012, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

You can easily check the fuse yourself. Look for the fuse box under your driver's side dash. It has a plastic cover that you can remove to access it. The No. 6 fuse (15A) is shown in the picture I've attached previously.

Pull that fuse out to look at it for a break. It may be a little hard to pull out by hand.

I'll attach another pic. of what you're looking for.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

Okay, this may get a little confusing between the two fuse boxes I will be referring to.

1. In the underhood fuse box, there is a fuse puller that you may need to help pull out the fuse in the driver's side interior fuse box (to check the No. 6 fuse (15A). -- See first attached pic. for what the fuse puller looks like.

2. With the fuse puller, pull the No. 6 fuse (shown in the picture in my first post, above).

3. Check to see if the No. 6 fuse is blown (see second attached pic. for example of how blown small fuse looks like).

If it is not blown, reinsert the fuse; the O2 sensor problem is not due to the fuse.

If it is blown, there are a couple of spare fuses located in the underhood fuse box. See third attached pic. for the location of two spare fuses. Only use them if they are same amperage fuse; so, 15A. If there is no spare 15A fuse, then you have to purchase it from any auto parts store or Walmart, etc.

Attached Thumbnails Primary Heated o2 sensor circuit malfunction-fuse-puller.jpg   Primary Heated o2 sensor circuit malfunction-blown-small-fuse.jpg   Primary Heated o2 sensor circuit malfunction-underhood-fuse-box.jpg  
Old 11-05-2012, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Also take a look at the electrical connector and wires for the primary O2 sensor. (See attached pic.) Make sure the connector is firmly connected and no wires are cut, bit by rodents, etc.

Attached Thumbnails Primary Heated o2 sensor circuit malfunction-primary-o2-sensor-connector.jpg  
Old 11-05-2012, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

How recent has it been since the Denso O2 sensor was changed? Also, how many times have you driven it after it was changed?

Sometimes, it may take 3 drive cycles for the Check Engine Light to clear if the ECM/PCM (car' computer) doesn't detect the fault anymore.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:53 AM

I changed the sensor a week ago today actually.. And i had it scanned 5 days after it was installed.. I drive it quite a bit to work and what not. Should i have it re-scanned?. Thank you for the info on the fuse, ill have that checked as well.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

Check the fuse and the sensor connector.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:19 AM

I'll have to find someone to have that checked and go from there, thanks alot.

Quick Reply: Primary Heated o2 sensor circuit malfunction