General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems accelerating on highway

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 08:11 PM
Default Problems accelerating on highway

so as all of you know....i just recently had a new clutch installed. everything has been fine, however, when im on the highway in 5th gear and i hit a slight incline...the car does not speed up even with my foot on the gas. and if i give it too much gas...it kind of hesitates a little bit. i dont know whether this could be clutch related or not, i mean in the city its fine, even when im going up a small hill in 2nd or 3rd gear. just on the highway it does this. could it be clutch related?
thanks for any help.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:02 AM
Default RE: Problems accelerating on highway

how fast are u going in 5th when this happens? if you are runnin low rpms u might not have enough power going up a hill. in this situation u should be in a lower gear. theres not much power in 5th since its such a high gear.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:47 AM

I would be in 5th gear going around 70mph. it should have no problem at that speed and rpm going faster. i feel like theres something restricting my acceleration. its weird because its only on the highway. around the city its fine. i dont believe it is clutch related though...

Old 09-23-2008, 08:54 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I don't think it's clutch/transmission related either. EGR ports?

Old 09-23-2008, 09:20 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I think it could also be clogged injectors too. Maybe a dying fuel pump.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Only way clutch is an issue is if RPM's increase w/ no increase in speed. This means clutch is slipping.

Otherwise, it could be EGR-related. There was a "lean stumble" problem due to partial EGR port blockage that included 94 model year. Too much EG in one intake port would lean out mixture and car would "stumble" before accelerating. Fix is to clean the EGR valve, manifold, and intake manifold ports where EGR manifold connects. There is a TSB on the cleaning procedure. Check DiY for help.

good luck

Old 09-23-2008, 10:43 PM

yeah the RPMs dont rise at all. I mean I would hope not since its a new clutch lol. but you described the exact problem im having. When i give it gas it "stumbles" a few times then gradually increases in speed. i am going to do that hopefully on thursday and let you know how it goes. thanks for all the replies.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:47 PM

So its been a couple weeks since I started having this problem with the accelerating and all. Checked my spark plugs today and they were toast. Replaced them and viola...car runs like freaking new. Didnt even change the wires. I'll proly do that next week as well as checking the EGR ports for the hell of it. Just thought I would update so someone elose can find this helpful. CHECK YOUR PLUGS! lol

Old 10-10-2008, 10:42 AM

awesome, its great when a fix is that simple-now that i think about it my buddy has a 93 civic and he had accel stumble at all speeds, replaced the plugs and it ran like new

Old 10-10-2008, 11:24 PM

no kidding...i was seriously thinking it was gonna be big $$ to fix the problem. And it all it took was an $8 fix.

Quick Reply: Problems accelerating on highway