General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with my coolant reservoir

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 10:09 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Problems with my coolant reservoir

Hi all!

I've been reading this forum for some time now, but I'm new at posting. I have a 95 Accord EX Station Wagon.

I had to get the radiator replaced, since the old one had a leak. But with the new one, I'm noticing that the collant boils and the steam goes out through the collant reservoir cap.

In this video i've noticed that there is an internal hose inside the reservoir, but mine doesn't have one. and I've never seen coolan go from reservoir to radiator (wheter with old one or new one).

I almost blow my engine yesterday because the steam loosen the reservoir cup and all the coolant when away.

BTW, I use a premixed distilled-refrigerant collant (green colored).

Any clues about this?

Old 06-24-2012, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

It should have a hose inside the reservoir to help coolant return back into the radiator.

Also, did you get a new radiator cap when you replaced the radiator?

Old 06-24-2012, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

This is the parts diagram showing the hose.

Attached Thumbnails Problems with my coolant reservoir-hoses.jpg  
Old 06-24-2012, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

coolant boiling = defective radiator cap

Old 06-24-2012, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Def need to get the "hose" in the res. Without it, the system can/will "suck" air into the rad when cooling down.

Air in the cooling system causes all kinds of strange things.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:04 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for your replies!

I'll try to get that hose...I asume is 'just a hose' so anyone would do, right?

Today, i've notice that fans are not starting, but they used to work before replacing the radiator. I asume that's because of boiling water, sensors are not 'geting' the info and cause the fans not to start. The other day, while I was pouring water into the radiator, a taxi driver told me that in this kind of cars, usually fans start because of system presure, not temperature, is that correct?

redbull, thanks for the diagram! I'm wondering what 21, 23 and 28 are...don't recall seeing them

BTW, I did get a new radiator cap

Old 06-25-2012, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

• Most hoses will do for that one, as it is would not be under great pressure like the other larger radiator hose. But, it should of a quality not to deteriorate and break up where the little pieces get sucked up into the cooling system.
  • You should use a coolant/water mix instead of straight water for better protection.
  • The fans started because of coolant temperature.
The thermo-switch A (aka fan switch A) is located on the thermostat housing (connected by the lower radiator hose). Normally, when the car is on even if the A/C is off, when the coolant temperature reaches ~ 194 degrees F ( ~ 90 degrees C) at thermo-switch A, both fans (A/C condenser fan and radiator fan) should turn on. If A/C is turned on, both fans should run regardless of the temp. at thermo-switch A.

After the car is shut off and if the coolant temperature at thermo-switch B (located at or near the upper coolant hose housing on the engine block) reaches ~ 223 degrees F ( ~ 106 degrees C), then the radiator fan come for a set amount of time.
  • Part 21, 23 and 28 are related the the upper bracket and cushions to hold the radiator on the car.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:00 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Yeah, when I ment 'just a hose' I ment that, a hose that can resist being in water, but without anything special.

I'm used to premixer coolant, but since I've been boiling it for the last 4 days, I'm using only distilled water till I can fix this. But only because it's cheaper and make no sense to boil good coolant.

The fans were not starting with regular usage. Not only that, but the other day I wanted to see if they work if I start the A/C, but they didn't (I asumed they don't, they only start because of system pressure).
I'm guessing that thermostat or thermo-switches are not working.

The replacement was done by a mechanic. I'm guessing I'll have to visit him again

Old 06-25-2012, 03:22 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I've been digging some more in the forum, and there is something that may be important.

I bought this car around march, to a family's friend. He told me he charged the AC back in january. A couple weeks after I bought it, I noticed that the AC stopped throwing cold air and only the copkit fans work (I'm in south america, so it's summer during this time).

I've read that AC fan don't start if the AC system has low/high pressure, so if it has a leak and throwed all the AC coolant..is that good reason for the fan to not start?

Old 06-25-2012, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

If the AC system pressure is low, the fans will not come on when you "press the button".

Follow the lower radiator hose to the engine, you will see a green connector going to a switch - Thermo A. Remove the connector and use a paperclip or piece of wire and connect to two wires in the connector together. Turn the key to on, do BOTH fans on the radiator run?

Quick Reply: Problems with my coolant reservoir