General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Problems, Problems, Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 02:38 AM
KimberlyC
Unregistered
Default Problems, Problems, Problems

Hey everyone,
Im new on the website, and joined hoping to get some direction with where to go with my car...
Its an automatic 87 honda accord...in nice condition on the outside but, the engine and everything inside is barley running. I mean, day to day..its gets me to where I go..but here are the issues, maybe i can get some feedback... I know its old...

1) In the morning, my car idles SO HIGH....once its at normal opperating temperature the idle drops down to like 700RPM...well...sometimes lower, i ALWAYS have to pop it into neutral when Im sitting at a light becuase it feels like its gunna cut out...
***if I dont let it warm up, and turn the car off the engine runs on and on and on..its kinda embarressing...

2)I usually have to keep it at a half tank of gas...and always put a gas treatment in my car becuase if I dont, the pedal cuts out and the RPM's keep going up but the km/h decrease...its really strange and has happened to me on the hwy a couple of times....(usually it pops back into gear at about 70/80kms/hr.

any feedback would be appreciated...thanks!

Old 04-13-2006, 06:16 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Problems, Problems, Problems

i think you just have a car with the relentless pursuit to keep running. there arnt too many cars out there with that in them. a carb rebuild and about 1/3 of a bottle of lucas trans fix would make ahheleva difference

Old 04-13-2006, 01:57 PM

I agree with lightshow, a carb rebuild would do wonders for you...

Old 04-15-2006, 02:43 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: KimberlyC

Hey everyone,
Im new on the website, and joined hoping to get some direction with where to go with my car...
Its an automatic 87 honda accord...in nice condition on the outside but, the engine and everything inside is barley running. I mean, day to day..its gets me to where I go..but here are the issues, maybe i can get some feedback... I know its old...

1) In the morning, my car idles SO HIGH....once its at normal opperating temperature the idle drops down to like 700RPM...well...sometimes lower, i ALWAYS have to pop it into neutral when Im sitting at a light becuase it feels like its gunna cut out...
***if I dont let it warm up, and turn the car off the engine runs on and on and on..its kinda embarressing...

2)I usually have to keep it at a half tank of gas...and always put a gas treatment in my car becuase if I dont, the pedal cuts out and the RPM's keep going up but the km/h decrease...its really strange and has happened to me on the hwy a couple of times....(usually it pops back into gear at about 70/80kms/hr.

any feedback would be appreciated...thanks!
,, model ?? DX ,, LX,, LXI,, SEI ??? people that advice on a carb rebuilt are just assuming or might have a crystal ball , sorry i don't have one ,so i cannot see if car is carb or injected

Old 04-16-2006, 11:51 AM
mgelfl
Unregistered

I'D START OFF WITH NEW PLUGS, WIRES AND FILTERS (AIR & GAS)