General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Products to clean piston rings - reduce oil use - any good?

Old 07-06-2009, 08:01 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Products to clean piston rings - reduce oil use - any good?

Hi All

Has anyone heard of reducing oil consumption with an older engine by running cleaner products like Seafoam and BG44?

BG Products claim “The BG 109 chemistry dissolves fuel gums that form around the rings, restoring and balancing compression in all of the cylinders.”

GM, Chrysler, and some othe rmanufacturers offer product that seem similar to these, did they reduce oil use for anyone here?

Thanks

Old 07-06-2009, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

I've heard good things about BG44, but never actually used it myself.
Seafoam seems to be a favorite around here too.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:37 AM

I don't think I would try seafoam in the oil. Just makes me too nervous. In the brake booster line or the fuel tank, but not the oil.

I would try adding a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil. Never used it myself but I have heard good things about it.

With the "cleaners" I would be nervous it would break a big clump of gunk loose and clog something. Then your engine won't use any oil any more because it wont work.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You may want to try searching/reading on bobistheoilguy.com's forum. They promote a product, Auto-RX, with great claims for cleaning and freeing oil control rings.

I'm very skeptical of the Auto-RX claims, but the forum is good and they appear honest at least. I tried Auto-RX simply to clean the valve train on my 94 EX. I could not tell any difference after running through the treatment, but the valve train was just light brown to start, so maybe my car wasn't applicable. They show some dramatic photo before/afters.

I've tried to clean carbon deposits on EGR manifold and found virtually nothing will soften them. Only product I've found is Chemtron carbuerator dip. That stuff will dissolve just about anything,...including your hands if you're not careful.

good luck

Old 07-06-2009, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

You jogged my memory... Lots of fans of Auto-RX over at a Saab board. The advantage (claimed) is that it dissolves the crud slowly, so you don't get BIG chunks of stuff to clog your oil passages & filter. That's especially important in a turbo engine that has sludge from petroleum oil & long intervals.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:04 PM

I hear that seafoam in an older car can cause problems. Especially when carbon build up is the only thing keeping the compression. Clean all the carbon and you loose compression.

but thats just hearsay.