Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Punctured the oil filter 03 Accord EX-L (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/punctured-oil-filter-03-accord-ex-l-62623/)

skyfire322 12-03-2015 10:17 PM

Punctured the oil filter 03 Accord EX-L

Hey everyone! I was doing an oil change today, and when I used the oil filter pliers to take it off, the pliers chewed the filter up so it now looks like a crushed soda can.

The filter is stuck on there real good too. I've tried PB blaster, and I also tried the screwdriver trick, but that just made things worse. I'm wondering if the best course of action would to be to drain all the oil, get it towed to the garage and have them just put it on a lift to take it off.

The problem is that I can't get a good angle because it's in such a tight spot, even when it's on the ramps.

Prospector 12-03-2015 11:33 PM

It does sound as if the car needs to go to a shop. Do you know a reliable mechanic?

skyfire322 12-03-2015 11:53 PM

I do. Luckily, the shop I go to is only a half block away so worst case scenario, I can just push it there.

TexasHonda 12-04-2015 08:58 AM

There is a spring-loaded friction grip "socket" tool to engage the oil filter housing,...if there's enough intact housing to grip.

There is also a strap wrench which wraps around and presents a square socket for a 1/2" ratchet. I've used one I have successfully on very tight filter housings. However, there is a crushing force from this type of wrench that may not work w/ a damaged filter housing.

An air impact hammer w/ chisel bit may be able to impact edge of housing base to provide loosening force. Access is key unknown.

A shop should be brought in w/ a lift to find best option before more damage. Worst case may require welding a nut to base to provide something to turn the filter base out.

good luck

JimBlake 12-04-2015 08:42 PM

Got a long screwdriver? Hammer it through the filter then use that as a lever to get it started unscrewing.

skyfire322 12-05-2015 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake (Post 365194)
Got a long screwdriver? Hammer it through the filter then use that as a lever to get it started unscrewing.

I did try but unfortunately when I went to unscrew, it ripped the filter even more. I'll be taking it to the garage after work tomorrow night.

Just out of curiosity, should I drain all the oil before dropping it off just so they won't have an unexpected surprise having oil shoot all over the place?

poorman212 12-05-2015 06:06 PM

No, leave the oil in the pan.....just my opinion, don't want to chance a mistake in communication and they replace the filter and start it up to be sure there are no leaks.....and it goes bad because there is no oil in the pan.

Again, just me.

Prospector 12-06-2015 06:08 PM

I agree... do not drain the oil, though be sure to let the garage know that the crank case is still full.

May as well have the oil changed while the car is in the shop

Dr. Drivability 12-07-2015 10:11 AM

Pulling the passenger side wheel off gives you a straight shot to the filter...mangled or not you should be able to get if off...

skyfire322 12-08-2015 02:13 PM

Well, the garage was able to replace the filter. They were a little rude about it, but all is well now.

Thanks for all the replies! I'll remember this in the future.