General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

quarter tank of gas left = car shutoff?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 10:50 AM
JKobielusz
Unregistered
Default RE: quarter tank of gas left = car shutoff?

I was thinking about giving the fuel filter a change, thats a good idea. Just seems to me that with little tank in the gas, there has to be a bigger issue than the fuel filter. Runs like a champ till the gas gets low. I used to have a 96 accord coupe with an automatic trans and ever since the car had 26K, if you parked on a steep hill with not too much gas in the car, it wouldn't start. I'd have to coast it to flat land and start it up. I was assuming that the fuel pump is taking fuel off the back of the gas tank which assisted the issue, but I really don't know. I will post what I find out. thanks for the input!

Old 07-01-2008, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Unlikely to be a fuel filter issue, since the problem occurs when decellerating hard or parked downhill. Fuel filter should be a constant problem w/ either drivability symptoms or full-time, no-start.

Note, fuel pump is at the back of the tank, so parking downhill would allow fuel to drain away from the fuel trap and would cause a no-start w/ low (?) fuel level.

First step in solving an intermittent stoppage problem is determing whether fuel starvation or loss of ignition power supply is the cause. This is why I suggested the tell-tale light. W/ the light bulb in the cabin on one of the systems, you can immediately see if ignition power or fuel power has been lost. Loss of power to the fuel pump could indicate either loss of ignition power, or loss of Main Fuel Relay power, so monitoring ignition power would be more useful.

I used a fuel pump power tell-tale light earlier on my 94EX and was able to confirm that power was available w/ no fuel pump run, so I replaced the fuel pump which resolved w/ the intermittent no-start issue, but I still have the very occasional engine-stoppage while decelerating heavily and low (1/4-1/8) fuel level.

good luck

Old 07-01-2008, 12:41 PM

My car engine ran rough when started following being parked on an incline. After a year or so of this the fuel pump failed. The pump was the problem.

Old 05-17-2015, 05:42 PM

It's 7 years later, I know, but none of these threads answered my question. I have the same problem at 1/4 tank but it is DEFINITELY when it hits the 1/4 tank mark. When I come to a stop, it stalls. It immediately starts back up with no problem and continues to run normally until I hit another light. I do have an ignition switch separate from the key start but it's a non issue. I must reiterate that this is the ONLY time that it stalls. I had read another forum that spoke of a sock that goes into the tank and that the aftermarket replacements were crap. I can't find a decent diagram to even find where this sock goes. New help please. 1994 Accord DX.

Old 05-17-2015, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Same advice I gave earlier applies. You need to know whether fuel pump is losing power or failing to pump w/ power available. Tell-tale light will determine this.

Regarding sock. It's located at base of fuel pump, inside the fuel tank. It's part of the fuel pump assembly.

good luck