General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about if my engine is the original or not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 09:48 PM
Default Question about if my engine is the original or not?

Hello there,
Can you please advise me how I can find out if my engine in my 90 accord coupe EX is the originally engine or not. I have located and will provide below all info vin# is Honda Vin # 1HGCB7269LA018336

Engine Code A98300359

F22A4
With all this info there must be a way for me to tell if this is the original engine. I would think there is a website out there where you can locate with the above info if this is the original engine that came with the car from the factory. Please advise me thanks very much for your help as I am new at this.
Dave

Old 03-15-2010, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think that the manufacturers 'tagged' engines that far back.
I think it was after 96 that there will be a VIN tag attached to the block.
What leads you to believe you have a swapped engine ?

Old 03-15-2010, 11:12 PM
Default follow up to your ?

Hello what is making me ? this is there was strange color grease pencil writing on some parts underneath the car. This usually means that the parts or the motor came from a junk yard.
The info I gave you in previous post is stamped/engraved on the motor. It does not have or come with the vin on the motor instead they put a engine code on there. Now my dilemma is finding out how to match up the engine code to the vin # that is on the car. There must be a way/website to see how these 2 #'s match up to tell if they came with each other. If you can ask or know anyone that might be able to help out in this matter I would appreciate it much.
Dave

Old 03-15-2010, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator

Yes I understand what information you are seeking;
That is what I am trying to explain........in NEWER years Honda attached a VIN ID plate to the engine block, PRIOR TO THAT TIME, THERE IS NO WAY to absolutly, positively, 100% without a doubt, confirm that you have your original engine in the car.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator

There's a way to confirm it HAS been swapped, by the first digit of the engine serial #.

First digit 1 means that engine comes from the first model-year that F22A4 was available. But I think that was 1990, so in your case it doesn't prove anything. It could be a swapped engine that actually matched the 1990 EX model.

First digit zero would be a crate engine, say purchased from a dealer parts counter.

Like Dude says, I don't know of any way to match the block serial # against the car's VIN. I've seen information like that for Corvettes & older Camaros. I suspect Honda recorded that information somewhere, but it doesn't seem to be available to the public.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:38 AM
Default folow up

Thanks very much for the info that kinda sucks that there appears to be noway to find out. I call honda I bet they will know and have some kind of database like this.

Originally Posted by JimBlake
There's a way to confirm it HAS been swapped, by the first digit of the engine serial #.

First digit 1 means that engine comes from the first model-year that F22A4 was available. But I think that was 1990, so in your case it doesn't prove anything. It could be a swapped engine that actually matched the 1990 EX model.

First digit zero would be a crate engine, say purchased from a dealer parts counter.

Like Dude says, I don't know of any way to match the block serial # against the car's VIN. I've seen information like that for Corvettes & older Camaros. I suspect Honda recorded that information somewhere, but it doesn't seem to be available to the public.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

Let us know; that question comes up occasionally. Still, Accord is a mass-market car. Like I said I've seen that for Corvettes, but I wouldn't be surprised if GM deleted all that data for Vegas & Chevettes.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:03 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

it is for sure the original engine .............I called the dealer and they verified it..

Old 03-17-2010, 01:31 AM

Hello Desert honda & all if you called and got the answer why didn't you post/give me the phone #....?
Well I called the dealer as well they could not help me at all they told me to call Honda America corporate offices. I did and they are able to verify if you have the vin# and your engine code # as well. The phone # for all is
Call 1800 999 1009 opt. 7 I think and they can help with engine verification as long as you have the vin # & your engine # for them. They also suggested going/registering online at this site but it does not offer that much info except the recalls that was helpful. The Website is www.ahm-ownerlink.com
However they could not tell me whether or not I have California emissions or not. Can someone please advise me how to tell if I have Ca emissions or non CA emissions thanks?

Old 03-17-2010, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

Since it IS the original engine, the emmissions info should be on a sticker on the underside of the hood. My cars say something like US-EPA LEV-II; LEV tier2, bin5. A California car would probably have some statement about California, or "CARB" = Calif. Air Resources Board.

Quick Reply: Question about if my engine is the original or not?