General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question About Instructions In DYI Section

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 11:16 AM
Almost A Senior Member
Default Question About Instructions In DYI Section

In the DYI section there's instructions on how to do a Transmission fluid change (Thanks!) However I really doubt if I bring it to the dealer their going through the steps (drain/refill) three times. Does that mean their not doing an adequate job? What mileage should the first change be at? I'm not waiting till the "recommended" interval. Will the dealer think I'm crazy for wanting them to do it in half that time? I mean I'm sure they will be glad to take my money but what's their real opinion about change intervals? I know when I get them to do the oil they put the little sticker in the window showing around 3,500 miles I believe. Why not the (roughly 9,000) miles Honda recommends? Any Dealer employees out there? If so what's the "norm" for transmission service (change?)

Old 03-15-2010, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

If the car is lifted in the air (safely secured), they can start the engine & let it run in gear (tires spinning in the air) for xxx minutes.

They can also disconnect a trans-cooler hose & feed fresh fluid into one end while dumping old fluid out the other. The objection to MOST non-dealer shops doing a power-flush comes down to a couple things:
- probably don't have a flushing machine dedicated to Honda with HONDA ATF-Z1 fluid and NO ADDITIVES.
- probably do have a flushing machine with it's own pumps rather than using the internal pumps inside the trans.

If they "suggest" you change your engine oil at 3500 miles, I bet they'll be glad to take your money for a trans-oil change.

How dirty is it??? I would judge how dirty is the oil coming out, then establish a schedule that keeps it clean without doing the 3x every time. According to the Helm shop manual (factory bible) the auto-trans is simply supposed to be drain/fill. Not 3x. The whole business of the 3x drain/fill is for someone who has allowed their oil to get dirty in the first place.