General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Question about some parts new vs used + other things

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 08:52 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Question about some parts new vs used + other things

hi people i have old honda accord year 1993 petrol 2.0is 131hp european model engine f20z1 , my master cylinder and i guess slave began to fail i use after market chinese and i am tired of them i used after market ialian they fail after 6 months chinese lasted me for 2 years, do u think its worth to buy Brand new original genuine parts master and slave for my ancient car? Price is very high both cost like 300$ with labor, in the paste i used 2nd they fail quick and new after market too, so i dont know what to do? My other question is which is better to buy new or second hand Master brake cylinder ,if i change the master cylinder with better one for example my car master cylinder is 3/4" facelift same car have 1" master cylinder if i get face lift master cylinder will i receive better stopping distance? Or nothing will improve? Is it better new or 2nd hand ? My brake pads,brake disks, are new brake pipes too, brake fluid too, calipers are well taken care of. Please advice!

Old 08-09-2016, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator

Most aftermarket parts are not better than OEM parts in my opinion. At best aftermarket parts are the same. The cost difference is what I consider.

I don't know why your master and slave cylinders are failing. It could be the machining of the cylinder or the rubber cup seals and springs.

It is a tough call on the best plan. You may want to consider a used OEM Honda part that doesn't look corroded in the bore and find a decent rebuild kit.

I'm not sure what improvement you would get with a 1 inch bore. I typically stick with a stock setup with my repairs.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

A larger bore master cylinder will require more force at the pedal to do the same job. Unless you use the corresponding larger-bore calipers/wheelcylinders to match.