Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Question about "wheel bearing" vs. "wheel bearing and hub assembly"? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/question-about-wheel-bearing-vs-wheel-bearing-hub-assembly-53941/)

joenintiesc 03-31-2013 10:05 AM

Question about "wheel bearing" vs. "wheel bearing and hub assembly"?

4 Attachment(s)
I am planning on replacing my driver's side wheel bearing as I am hearing the telltale "howling" noise. The passenger side was done last year by a shop, and I want to do the other side myself. I'm a little confused about what situation requires having the bearing pressed out and the new one pressed in.

Sometimes I see the first picture described as a "wheel bearing" but also as a "wheel bearing and hub assembly".

But in my mind the second picture should actually be considered the assembly.

If I purchase what is in the first picture, will I still need to have it pressed out/in at a shop?

I also want to replace the CV axle at the same time. Besides a new axle nut, is there anything else I should buy to replace at the same time?

Roader 03-31-2013 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by joenintiesc (Post 316803)
If I purchase what is in the first picture, will I still need to have it pressed out/in at a shop?

Yes. The second pic shows the assembly which wouldn't require pressing.

Replacing the bearing alone doesn't necessarily require a press; there are workarounds. See youtube video FEDrioMDe1k.

The hub/bearing assembly isn't much more expensive than the bearing alone.

poorman212 03-31-2013 10:40 AM

What year is this car - kind of looks like a 4th or 5th gen (90-97).

When you have is apart, check all of the suspension items (ball joints, tie rods, ect).

joenintiesc 03-31-2013 10:52 AM

It's a 94 (I just added it to my sig)

Where can I get the true "wheel bearing and hub assembly" in the second pic for a decent price? The only place I was able to find it was a web parts place called AM Autoparts, but they have a lot of negative reviews. I've seen a few others here and there but they were all over $100. I can get the bearing alone (pic 1) for $15-30 from Rockauto.

Please let me know as I'd rather do this as simply as possible if it is only a bit more $ for the hub/bearing combo!

poorman212 03-31-2013 11:28 AM

I'm not really sure where they can be had for much less, meaning the hub and bearing.

Do some google searches on replacing rotors, hubs or bearings on these cars (94-97). There a pleanty of "ways" you can do this yourself. Yes the official answer is to have it pressed by a shop but I can tell you there are plenty of "creative" ways of doing this yourself....meaning buy the bearing, maybe ~$30 dollars of tools, bolts, whatever and press out the old hub and install the old hub into the new bearing.

Roader 03-31-2013 11:49 AM

One of this site's sponsors, TheAutoPartsShop, has a National brand assembly for $69 shipped.

Edit: maybe not. No pic shown.

Edit #2: I'm guessing it's just the bearing, not the hub too. My favorite wheel bearing source, HubBearing(dot)com is apparently out of business. They used to sell the complete Timken (NSK) assemblies for ~$60. Sorry for leading you down the wrong path.

I successfully replaced the passenger FWB using Eric's video (but with no air tools) using his cutoff wheel method. The only hitch: a hunk of hardened steel sliced right into my face when popping the race off with the chisel. Wear a full face mask, not just safety glasses. Freeze the hub in your freezer for an hour or two, and warm the bearing in the sun, before "pressing" them together(8:25 in the video.)

joenintiesc 03-31-2013 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Roader (Post 316820)
One of this site's sponsors, TheAutoPartsShop, has a National brand assembly for $69 shipped.

Hmmm... I don't see it on that site. I see this:

Brand: National
Part Number: 94honaccord/513098
Category: Wheel Bearing and Hub Assembly
Condition: New
Description: Hub Assembly
1994 honda accord LX 4 Cyl.2.2L -Front Wheel
Price: $46.09

But there is no pic, so no way to tell if it is a "true" assembly, or just the bearing itself. It seems a little too good to be true that it is the bearing and hub together, since the hub alone shows for over $90...

I guess I will give them a call tomorrow and see what's what.

There is one on ebay for $64.90 shipped from a seller called 1aautomotive, but I'm always wary of ebay parts sellers when it is something that is kind of hard to find elsewhere...

poorman212 03-31-2013 12:30 PM

I can tell you this - a National 513098 is just the bearing.

joenintiesc 03-31-2013 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212 (Post 316825)
I can tell you this - a National 513098 is just the bearing.

Yes, that makes sense. Another example of the mislabeling I was talking about by referring to it as a "Wheel Bearing and Hub Assembly"...

So it looks like either I will have to do it the hard way/ DIY youtube method(s), or take a chance on the ebay ACTUAL Wheel Bearing and Hub Assembly I mentioned.

Thanks for helping me sort this out!

joenintiesc 04-13-2013 07:00 PM

So I decided to go with the ebay "true" wheel bearing and hub assembly for $65 shipped. That and a new front left cv axle from Advanced Auto. Everything came apart and went back together without any major difficulties. I took it for a quick test drive and noticed a sort of rotational hum/vibration above 55 mph. Maybe something to do with the aftermarket axle? I also noticed that the original axle had a rubber doughnut on the shaft, whereas the replacement axle did not. What is this doughnut thing on the original axle?