General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question re: driver's seat lower plastic trim pieces.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 02:52 PM
Default Question re: driver's seat lower plastic trim pieces.

2003 Honda Accord EX V6 sedan with 8-way power seat (leather).

On the driver's seat, lower left side, there is a plastic cover where the seat movement controls are located. This piece meets up with a similar cover on the front of the seat.

While repairing the seat recline function on this seat I broke a clip on the left side cover so I ordered a replacement cover (~$27).

While attempting to install the new side cover, what I found was on the front left corner of the seat where that sidecover meets the frontcover there are no clips or screws. Rather, the two pieces appear to be heat-fused (melted) together.

I was very surprised to find them melted together like that. The parts diagram seems to imply there is a screw/clip on that corner but not so on my car.

It seemed highly likely that I would break the frontcover attempting to separate it from the old sidecover so I didn't install the new side cover.

I guess I can order a replacement front cover and attempt to fuse the two new pieces together. Sounds a bit scary to me.

Is anyone familiar with plactic trim pieces being melted together like this? Is there a recommended procedure for melting the pieces together? Soldering iron?

Thanks,

- Dave

[IMG]local://upfiles/14477/BC6728B142294ADEA56157FE30A3A4E0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14477/1750ECFCEE314A658C046D4F704E8D00.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-14-2008, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Question re: driver's seat lower plastic trim pieces.

Yes it does look like item 44 is a retaining clip and item 42 a screw; so that the front trim part would goon first and then the side is being held by the clip, and covers the screw.

You should look closely for empty holes where the screw or clip are supposed to be.
On the other hand, maybe she ain't no virgin. LOL Some monkey may have been there before you and used a prybar to get in there.

I've had lots of 'fun' plastic welding;
if you decide to go that route....have an empty plastic oil jug cut into 1/4" strips to use for filler/support strips, and some large pore steel screen,[the backing]to melt plastic filler into.
A 30 watt soldering iron will have enough temp to melt the plastic.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:59 PM
Default RE: Question re: driver's seat lower plastic trim pieces.

Thanks, Hondadude. I know what you mean about the screw/clip in the diagram. When I bought the replacement left side cover I thought it was going to be an easy, snap-oninstall but not so.

We bought the car brand new and it's been in the shop 4 times since new and to the best of my knowledge none of the work would have involved the driver's seat. (Rear wing spoiler install, rear wing spoiler additional trunk lid springs were installed on wrong sides so it was back in to fix that, a recall related to inadequate lubrication of the automatic transmission's 2nd gear, and then rear brakes.)

So, while it's not guaranteed my gut instinct is it came from the factory the way it is.

There *is* a spot for a clip and screw on the seat bottom frame, though.

My guess is where those two covers fit together the fit is so poor that they wound up welding them together to compensate. Once you have that sidecover welded to the front cover then you lose the ability to remove the side cover and access the screw -- hence the screw didn't get installed. The fact that BOTH the screw and the clip are missing suggests to me it came from the factory that way -- assumption being a pry monkey would toss the screw but not bother tearing the clip off and tossing it.

Looking at the "weld" things were sufficiently melted that I couldn't tell how the two pieces actually fit together in the first place but it seemed like the two pieces sort of interlaced in about 4 locations. It looks almost as if they heated up a small socket and then "branded" the four interlaced locations until everything was stuck together.

- Dave

P.S. Speaking of "pry monkeys" did I mention the reason I need to replace the side cover is because I busted a clip prying the cover off? Having torn that seat apart twice now I don't think even an experienced tech could pull it off without breaking at least one clip. What a pain...

EDITED: Here is a photo that shows how the two pieces were melted together.

Attached Thumbnails  Question re: driver's seat lower plastic trim pieces.-p5190306.jpg  

Last edited by SEADAVE; 05-21-2010 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Added photo.