Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Radiator Fan not working? Please help me! (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/radiator-fan-not-working-please-help-me-57085/)

Viets90 10-23-2013 12:57 PM

Radiator Fan not working? Please help me!

Hi, I have a 2001 Honda Accord, LX, 2.3L V-Tec.

My fan will not turn on even after driving over 20 minutes. Both the AC and coolant fan does not kick on UNLESS I turn the AC on. I believe if turning my AC on and both fan works; that would rule out the relays/fuses.

My radiator does have a leak somewhere (not from the cap). It not pouring out or anything, but I can see it leaking and dripping to the bottom.
My temperature gauge does not go pass the normal mark, it never over heat, but it is steaming and I see smoke/steam coming from by the radiator fan.

I just changed thermostat but still have not seen fan kick on.
It is currently 70 degrees outside and been like this for a week. I understand the radiator fan does not always kick on, but shouldn't it kicked on after 20 minutes of driving?
I need help figuring out what could the problem be before i put a new radiator in. Please help me.

redbull-1 10-23-2013 01:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
If both cooling fans runs strongly with the A/C turned on, then with the car off, disconnect the electrical connector from the radiator fan switch and jumper the connector side with a piece of wire or small paper clip (don't use a large paper clip, as you don't want to risk damaging the terminals). Turn the ignition to ON, does both fans run?

If both fans run with the switch jumped, the radiator fan switch may be faulty. That switch (which is normally open) should close when the coolant temperature is over 199 degrees F, and turn on the cooling fans.

Viets90 10-23-2013 01:16 PM

Where exactly is my radiator fan switch? it its on the radiator at the bottom?

redbull-1 10-23-2013 01:19 PM

Also, properly purge the cooling system of any large air pockets.

You can always take the fan switch out and test it with hot water and a ohmmeter to check the resistance; or use an IR thermometer with it still installed.

Viets90 10-23-2013 01:19 PM

I did replace that one and still nothing!

redbull-1 10-23-2013 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Viets90 (Post 334210)
Where exactly is my radiator fan switch? it its on the radiator at the bottom?

See attached pic. in my previous post.

Viets90 10-23-2013 01:21 PM

I have never bleed out the radiator when flushing it or anything. Could that be a problem to why my radiator fan is not working though?

Viets90 10-23-2013 01:30 PM

Is there a difference between

MasterPro® Ignition - Radiator/Cooling Fan Switch
Part # 2-8506
Line: MPI

Murray® Climate Control - Radiator/Cooling Fan Switch
Part # 36521
Line: MRY

redbull-1 10-23-2013 01:31 PM

Possible.

When the coolant temperature is cool, turn the heater control all the way to highest, this to open the heater valve; take off the radiator cap and fill coolant to neck of radiator.

Start car and let it run, keep topping off as air purges out of cooling system. You may want to rev the car gently to get the thermostat to open faster. Most of the purging occurs after the thermostat has opened. You can feel the lower radiator hose to see if it feels almost as hot at the upper radiator hose, to try to confirm the thermostat has opened.

Before you do that, you may want to jump the fan switch connector to see that both fans run. This is a quick check.

Edit: This is in response to your post #7, not #8. (I haven't compared #8 info.)

Viets90 10-23-2013 01:40 PM

Oh yea by the way, when i bought the fan switch from O Reilly, it didn't go down all the way. How ever pretty much all the way. I took it back up there, the manager told me, that should be more then enough connection as well as it wont go anywhere. He also told me maybe it was just bad design. Is this okay? I feel like he didn't want to deal with me or possibly accept a return due to me using it already.

shipo 10-23-2013 02:05 PM

I have a 2001 Accord and I think I've only ever heard the fans come on one time (one time with the A/C off that is) in the 20,000 miles I've driven the car. Said another way, it sounds to me like your car is working properly.

redbull-1 10-23-2013 02:26 PM

Under normal operating conditions when idling for extending periods of time or in traffic; the coolant temperature can reach above 199 degrees F,and turn on both cooling fans. You may not easily hear it with the car on while inside the car due the engine running, radio on, blower fan running, traffic noise, etc.; but, it may be on. With the car off, inside or outside the car with less environmental noise, engine running, etc.; it would be easier to hear the fans running.

However, even if it is not overheating, during the coolant system air purging process, you should be able to see the fans turned on when the coolant temperature at the radiator fan switch is over 199 F.

The following is just for informational purposes:
The cooling fan system for a V6 is slightly different than for an L4 2001 Accord. The V6 has both a radiator fan switch A (turns fans on if coolant temperature at switch is over 199 F with car on) and radiator fan switch B (turns fan on if coolant temperature switch is over 225 F with ignition turned to Lock/Off.)

The 2001 L4 Accord only has the one radiator fan switch.

shipo 10-23-2013 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by redbull-1 (Post 334221)
Under normal operating conditions when idling for extending periods of time or in traffic; the coolant temperature can reach above 199 degrees F,and turn on both cooling fans. You may not easily hear it with the car on while inside the car due the engine running, radio on, blower fan running, traffic noise, etc.; but, it may be on. With the car off, inside or outside the car with less environmental noise, engine running, etc.; it would be easier to hear the fans running.

However, even if it is not overheating, during the coolant system air purging process, you should be able to see the fans turned on when the coolant temperature at the radiator fan switch is over 199 F.

The following is just for informational purposes:
The cooling fan system for a V6 is slightly different than for an L4 2001 Accord. The V6 has both a radiator fan switch A (turns fans on if coolant temperature at switch is over 199 F with car on) and radiator fan switch B (turns fan on if coolant temperature switch is over 225 F with ignition turned to Lock/Off.)

The 2001 L4 Accord only has the one radiator fan switch.

I've never found it at all surprising that my cars (which have come from Europe, America, and Asia) don't typically engage the radiator fans when the A/C isn't also engaged. Why? Because I live in New Hamster and very rarely do I find myself in traffic of any significance. Said another way, when the engine is on, my car is almost always moving. :)

TexasHonda 10-23-2013 02:48 PM

Some folks install thermostats w/ temp holds lower than OEM (194F fully open) specs. This will practically eliminate fans running as long as cooling system is working.

good luck

redbull-1 10-23-2013 03:02 PM

A stuck open thermostat may cause the fans to also not come on as frequently.

shipo 10-23-2013 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by redbull-1 (Post 334226)
A stuck open thermostat may cause the fans to also not come on as frequently.

In my experience, when a thermostat is stuck open, the engine takes a long (sometime a long-long) time to heat up. To the OP, how long does it take from a cold-start until the temperature gauge is showing roughly half way up the scale?

Viets90 10-23-2013 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by shipo (Post 334228)
In my experience, when a thermostat is stuck open, the engine takes a long (sometime a long-long) time to heat up. To the OP, how long does it take from a cold-start until the temperature gauge is showing roughly half way up the scale?

It takes about 5 min,

Viets90 10-23-2013 03:36 PM

Maybe I'm over worrying about the fan, maybe its hot not enough yet.

I also change the fan switch. However but the fan switch did not plug in all the way it was pretty much plugged in all the way though it didn't make the cliCk noise to say its lock in. Does this matter?
I took it to the auto parts store by my house he told me that that's plenty of connection it doesn't have a clicking all the way is this true or is he just tell me that cuz he doesn't want to make a return.? Also the I jumped the fan switch and then turn on my car like you said and my Fans both did turn on. But does this mean my fan switch is bad? Because I just replaced it so?

I would be ok with it, but my radiator is still producing steam out by radiator fan. Why would it do that and thr fans not kick on?

JimBlake 10-24-2013 07:36 AM

Where are you located? I'm with Shipo, it's getting a bit cold here, and even during summer I have a hard time getting the fans to run. Colder weather, and I expect you'll have to put a blanket over your grille and idle for awhile to get it hot enough to run the fans.

The wire on that switch should click. Yes it makes the connection OK, but if it doesn't click it will slowly work its way loose and might come off someday.

For the leak, you have to find it and fix it. Think about getting a pressure tester, so you can pressurize the cooling system cold. That way it doesn't evaporate right away and you can find the leak easier. But I think that's a separate problem from the fans. And I suspect there isn't really a problem with your fans.