General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator Fan not working? Please help me!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 12:57 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Radiator Fan not working? Please help me!

Hi, I have a 2001 Honda Accord, LX, 2.3L V-Tec.

My fan will not turn on even after driving over 20 minutes. Both the AC and coolant fan does not kick on UNLESS I turn the AC on. I believe if turning my AC on and both fan works; that would rule out the relays/fuses.

My radiator does have a leak somewhere (not from the cap). It not pouring out or anything, but I can see it leaking and dripping to the bottom.
My temperature gauge does not go pass the normal mark, it never over heat, but it is steaming and I see smoke/steam coming from by the radiator fan.

I just changed thermostat but still have not seen fan kick on.
It is currently 70 degrees outside and been like this for a week. I understand the radiator fan does not always kick on, but shouldn't it kicked on after 20 minutes of driving?
I need help figuring out what could the problem be before i put a new radiator in. Please help me.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

If both cooling fans runs strongly with the A/C turned on, then with the car off, disconnect the electrical connector from the radiator fan switch and jumper the connector side with a piece of wire or small paper clip (don't use a large paper clip, as you don't want to risk damaging the terminals). Turn the ignition to ON, does both fans run?

If both fans run with the switch jumped, the radiator fan switch may be faulty. That switch (which is normally open) should close when the coolant temperature is over 199 degrees F, and turn on the cooling fans.

Attached Thumbnails Radiator Fan not working? Please help me!-radiator-fan-switch.jpg  
Old 10-23-2013, 01:16 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Where exactly is my radiator fan switch? it its on the radiator at the bottom?

Old 10-23-2013, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

Also, properly purge the cooling system of any large air pockets.

You can always take the fan switch out and test it with hot water and a ohmmeter to check the resistance; or use an IR thermometer with it still installed.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:19 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I did replace that one and still nothing!

Old 10-23-2013, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Viets90
Where exactly is my radiator fan switch? it its on the radiator at the bottom?
See attached pic. in my previous post.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:21 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I have never bleed out the radiator when flushing it or anything. Could that be a problem to why my radiator fan is not working though?

Old 10-23-2013, 01:30 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Is there a difference between

MasterPro® Ignition - Radiator/Cooling Fan Switch
Part # 2-8506
Line: MPI

Murray® Climate Control - Radiator/Cooling Fan Switch
Part # 36521
Line: MRY

Old 10-23-2013, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

Possible.

When the coolant temperature is cool, turn the heater control all the way to highest, this to open the heater valve; take off the radiator cap and fill coolant to neck of radiator.

Start car and let it run, keep topping off as air purges out of cooling system. You may want to rev the car gently to get the thermostat to open faster. Most of the purging occurs after the thermostat has opened. You can feel the lower radiator hose to see if it feels almost as hot at the upper radiator hose, to try to confirm the thermostat has opened.

Before you do that, you may want to jump the fan switch connector to see that both fans run. This is a quick check.

Edit: This is in response to your post #7, not #8. (I haven't compared #8 info.)

Old 10-23-2013, 01:40 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Oh yea by the way, when i bought the fan switch from O Reilly, it didn't go down all the way. How ever pretty much all the way. I took it back up there, the manager told me, that should be more then enough connection as well as it wont go anywhere. He also told me maybe it was just bad design. Is this okay? I feel like he didn't want to deal with me or possibly accept a return due to me using it already.

Quick Reply: Radiator Fan not working? Please help me!