General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator Replacement and related Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 02:25 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Radiator Replacement and related Questions

Hello Everybody, I am new to the forum and am sorry if their is a Welcome thread that I needed to post on first, I know they do that with many forums. So hi to all, I just picked up a 1994 Honda Accord EX about a month and a half ago and have run into some problems here and their with replacing things. I'm hoping it doesn't become a regular thing because I like the car. Anyways, on to the issue here...

A) I have a very large crack running along the top area of the radiator below the radiator cap and to the right a little bit. I didn't know this until I saw smoke coming from the engine and probably drove about 40 miles total without diagnosing correctly.
B) Once I noticed the problem I carried water with me and only drove to work and back while I ordered a new radiator and waited for it. I probably drove an additional 30 or so miles while maintaining it with the water.
C) My radiator comes in tomorrow and I am wondering if I should replace upper and lower hoses and the thermostat as well, are they compromised?
D) Along with those replacements should I be running some sort of coolant flush to get all the excess water/dirty coolant and whatever is leftover throughout the engine out? Can I do this in my garage? Is it a good idea?
E) In the 80 or so miles it has been driven with a damaged radiator, all very short trips of a few miles each I have noticed two things that are bothering me and wonder if they are related and will be fixed upon replacement...
1) When the car is in neutral (it is a manual transmission) or when the car is at idle, it idles irregularly. It will jump between 1 to 1.5 RPM back and forth, usually only in a morning trip and also hasn't happened as often while being maintained with the water.
2) Second problem I have only noticed with the past 10 or 15 miles, I hear a high pitched whistle or whining sound coming from under the hood while the car is in neutral or being switched from gear to gear, mostly only when my foot is held down on the clutch, sounds like some type of bearing but I'm not sure.

Any help is tremendously appreciated, I am sorry for the long message, thanks for sticking through and reading it if you are a responder. Thanks again! = )

Old 07-29-2010, 07:09 AM
Super Moderator

I'd replace the hoses & thermostat just because you'll have them disconnected (one end at least) for the radiator. Especially if they're 16 years old??

You can buy a cleaner/flush product at the last minute. I guess I'd judge that from looking at the water passageways when you open the T-stat housing and/or look into the radiator tanks. Crud or scale visible inside?? If you use it, make sure to rinse it out well.

In Hondas, one common reason for idle surging is air pockets in the cooling system. Make sure to bleed out all the air & see what happens. Maybe set your base idle. Maybe clean your IACV & FITV. You can deal with that after the radiator.

Last one sounds like a noisy throw-out bearing. Hard to judge without hearing it firsthand, but sometimes they make noise for a LONG LONG time before something breaks. I'm a little reluctant to tell you to ignore it without hearing it.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:37 AM

My radiator is leaking at the top area near the filler cap, where the plastic clips on to the metal portion. Is there any way to repair this or do I need a new radiator?

Old 10-04-2010, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

People have had some success plastering with JB Weld or something like that. I don't like to suggest that because it's a brittle material & someday can let go with a great big leak & no warning. My recommendation is to replace the radiator.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:24 AM

thanks, car needed soon, I'll pick up the Modine replacement from NAPA.
But it is C.R.A.P. (chinese replacement auto part)

Old 10-04-2010, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

AutoZone
Advance Autoparts
PepBoys
??
maybe other choices??