General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio Back Lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 08:11 AM
Default Radio Back Lights

Ok, I had my radio backlights go out while radio still worked. Found pretty easy fix on YouTube. Claimed it was a fuse/resistor (depending which video you watched) inside the radio as the culprit. They either soldered a wire jumping the fuse or they used a circuit writer conductive pen to jump the fuse. I chose the pen. The area is too tight and fuse too small to mess with that kind of heat on a circuit board. Anyway, it worked like a charm. My lights are now working. The problem now is that when I turn off and remove key, the back lights for the radio stay on. They already drained my battery once. I can't see how the wiring is wrong since I only unplugged the harnesses and re-inserted them again. Why are these back lights now on full time when car is off?

Last edited by Jim T; 10-24-2016 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Wording
Old 10-24-2016, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

What year, model, etc... do you have?

Never used a conductive pen, but I'd suspect a constant power on the board is shorting through the backlights and causing your issue. Not sure what your repair looks like.

You can also take a volt meter to the harness and verify the wires that should have no power with the key turned off actually do not have power.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:17 PM

The year is 2004 Accord EX. Like i said the repair was on youtube, poster stated it worked and all was good. My repair was originally going to be jumping a fuse that they say goes bad. With the area being so damn small, the video stated i could jump it with the pen. I did and it did work. But, the back lights stay on. The pen i used is pretty much the same difference as soldering a wire to jump the fuse. I only jumped that one fuse, and re-installed everything the way it was. Nothing new was added, everything went back into place the way it came out.